6.5-300wby mag

Rogmay

Have a friend that picked up a mark v, said he hasn't found much for load data, anyone have any luck yet finding some good loads for this toad! As always he knows to start low and work up, he's just not sure where to start. Any info you have would be appreciated, thanks.

I'd start by ordering a new blank, he's going to need a few as that sounds like a screamer......no idea on charge weight but how about RL33 or Retumbo. Could fill the case with powder then weigh it and take say 80% of that charge weight....start with a slow powder and work up till the case is full then switch to a faster burning one ant repeat until the best velocity is found.

I wouldn't waste too much time fiddle-forking around with loads...Barrel life is going to suck, just like with the .26 Nosler.

Best of luck to your buddy. Find someone who has QuickLoad and run the data.

I wouldn't waste too much time fiddle-forking around with loads...Barrel life is going to suck, just like with the .26 Nosler.

Best of luck to your buddy. Find someone who has QuickLoad and run the data.

Ya, I hear you on the barrel life, he just likes the Weatherby's, so if they make it he'll take it! Just thought I'd help him out if I could.

Id be contacting Weatherby and possibly Berger.
IF you can't find anything-- The 26 Nosler data (START CHARGES) is a safe place to start from.

Berger will send you the data.....it only took about 1 day for them to send data for my 6.5/300.

Thanks for the tip, emailed Berger, they had 10 different powders with min's & max's to me by this morning, great starting point, my buddy's now happy since he said his dies just came in today!

I get a kick out of stating that the 6.5-300 Wby Mag. is new. Way back in the late 1950's to early 1960's the boys at Williamsport, PA were shooting deer with one at very long range. I was in high school at the time and two of my friends shot their deer every year with one. I remember that few long range bullets existed for 6.5 so they used I believe a 139 gr. Norma bullet which they cut a groove around the tip to make it an expanding bullet. I guess that "new" means new for Weatherby.
Tom

I get a kick out of stating that the 6.5-300 Wby Mag. is new. Way back in the late 1950's to early 1960's the boys at Williamsport, PA were shooting deer with one at very long range. I was in high school at the time and two of my friends shot their deer every year with one. I remember that few long range bullets existed for 6.5 so they used I believe a 139 gr. Norma bullet which they cut a groove around the tip to make it an expanding bullet. I guess that "new" means new for Weatherby.
Tom

Your correct on the (new) part. It also took them a long while to come up with the
(new) 30x378 which was already being used for decades in PA.
Some guys also drilled the tips of those 139 Normas, but nothing you could do made
them a legal bullet in PA, as they were attracted to a magnet regardless.
The go to powder back then for both the 6.5x300 and the 30x378 was H570.

Yobuck: Its good to hear that someone else remembers the good old days. I am originally from Williamsport. Some of the shooters have shot on my sisters farm.
Tom

I tried retumbo in mine today.
127 LRX with 81.5gr retumbo and fed 215M was 3445fps shot 1.3"@200.
I went higher but the ES's opened up and started getting pressure at 82.5gr

Have a friend that picked up a mark v, said he hasn't found much for load data, anyone have any luck yet finding some good loads for this toad! As always he knows to start low and work up, he's just not sure where to start. Any info you have would be appreciated, thanks.

I think I saw some at 24hourcampfire.com. Don't know for sure since I lurk a few sights. I discovered using BING and 24hour usually is better than sight searches.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.