6.5-300rum

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Tried a search and couldn't find any matches.

Aside from being very overbore, would like to hear thoughts on this. Barrel length, twist, etc.

Steve

Building this rifle might make you the poster child for short barrel life. :D

But if you know that going in, why not build it? It will be a laser for sure...
for as long as it lasts. :D

I would definatly have the barrel nitraded, should increase barrel life considerably. I know you probably want to shoot heavy bullets out of it but man would a 100 grain NBT or ttsx at 4100-4150 fps blow the life out of deer!

Riley

I would definatly have the barrel nitraded, should increase barrel life considerably. I know you probably want to shoot heavy bullets out of it but man would a 100 grain NBT or ttsx at 4100-4150 fps blow the life out of deer!

Riley

It would help for sure. The only downside I see is, my 'smith told me flat out that after nitriding a barrel he will not set them back. When it's toast, it's garbage.

t

Good point, i guess it would be so hard after that it would be a royal PITA to machine.

I was looking at the 257 rum for about long enough to sneeze a few years ago, but as I had to trade my 7rum at 600 shots because of wear, I thought better of it and stayed away. The throuble is I'm wanting another 7 rum as a dedicated 140 grain bullet tosser. I need to work with 130-140 grain pills with my 7stw more before I play the rum game though.
If I were you I'd look at the 6.5 stw as it can be made from a rem or win in 264 without playing with the action; you only need to re-ream the chamber.​

I was looking at the 257 rum for about long enough to sneeze a few years ago, but as I had to trade my 7rum at 600 shots because of wear, I thought better of it and stayed away. The throuble is I'm wanting another 7 rum as a dedicated 140 grain bullet tosser. I need to work with 130-140 grain pills with my 7stw more before I play the rum game though.

If I were you I'd look at the 6.5 stw as it can be made from a rem or win in 264 without playing with the action; you only need to re-ream the chamber.​

Is a 300 Win Mag not long enough to build the rum on?

Steve

If you going to mag feed it, install a Wyatt's Extended Box magazine. With a 6.5RUM you are going to be chasing the lands before too long, the extra mag space will be a HUGE help 300-400 rounds down the road.

With a cartridge like that, I would be very seriously thinking about rolling with a single shot follower. Then you can run any bullet at pretty much any length you wish. The 6.5STW is also a lazer beam, LTLR reported 3700fps with 130's, that's enough to make a guy go >>:D:D Of course the 6.5AM shows 140's at well over 3500fps...

T

I have a 6.5-300ultra... I wouldnt build one again.. And my ressoning has NOTHING to do with barrel life.

Your ES will be around 50-80fps and it is VERY finiky.. im shooting the 129sst at 3550fps out of a 26" barrel. You can push it a little more but no need.. It just makes it more finiky.. Its VERY hard on brass.. Not to mention the brass prep you have to do...

Now it does do what it is suppose to do.. Its flat and has the power.

Ive been working on a wildcat off the 257wby case. Neck it up to 6.5 and improve to 35*. I know.. Its only about 1/8 longer than the 264 win mag. And about a 1/4 less than the 300 win. But its showing great things thus far.. 142smk at 3350 fps with an ES of 12 and EASY 1/2 moa at 300 yards. This is out of a 26" pipe...Using retumbo. You could gain more with 869 i bet..

So why would i go through all that crap to gain very little.. At the end of the day the other end has no idea about the added 100fps.

Im going to rechamber my 6.5 ultra to 6.5 wby imp.

Regardless Internet numbers i can tell you 3500fps with a 140gr pill is tough.. Now a 30" barrel and cool temps sure... But not easy to come by... My max working load with the 142smk in my rifle is 3450ish

Yup, those "internet numbers" as directly quoted from Allen Precision were in fact achieved from a 30" barrel. That is a LOT of powder to burn in a small bore, anything under 30 is probably a waste of time. I would imagine a 26" bbl would have one heck of a muzzle flash!

It sounds like the WBY wildcat is right in there with the 6.5 STW. But you should be burning a good bit less powder to do it.

High horsepower cartridges will always be finicky, that is the nature of the beast. Just as a highly modified muscle car will require more maintenance than you grocery getter. You have to pay to play.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.