6.5-300 WSM by MCR

Kevin Cram

Here's a nice rifle I just finished up for a customer. I can't wait to see how it shoots. I'm a big 6.5mm fan and I never built a 6.5-300 WSM before this one. I really liked the rifle and it's hard to let this one go out the door. Here's the specs, I hope you enjoy.

Blueprinted Remington 700
Skeletonized bolt handle
Sako Extractor
Wyatts Centerfeed mag box
Scope base holes opened to 8-40
Holland Recoil Lug
Broughton 5C / 6.5mm / 1-8 twist / Radial flutes
Chambered 6.5-300 WSM
Grey Bull Precision Stock
Full Action Bed
Rifle Basix Trigger

TonyBowers65-300WSM1.jpg

TonyBowers65-300WSM2.jpg

TonyBowers65-300WSM3.jpg

TonyBowers65-300WSM4.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great, it should be a shooter, very similar to my 6.5WSm except for mine is on a long action and in a McMillan, even got the same flutes. My wife shot a group at 1150 a week or so ago that was a tad over 5 inches with less than 3 inches of vertical, and it was shot with nearly 5 MOA of wind dialed. She killed a nice antelope with it the day after shooting that group. I was pleasantly surprised with the terminal effects of the 140 VLD. I had heard things good and bad about those bullets.

NICE!!! Been shooting my build by Kevin & it is a tackdriver. Best shooting rifle I have owned.

It's mine, thanks Kevin for putting this rig together for me. It's in a Grey Bull Precision stock, which I think is made by B & C. After getting the chamber neck dimensions from Kevin, I sized and neck turned some WW 270WSM brass, and loaded up some graduated rounds with GM210M primers.
I mounted a Grey Bull/Leupold 4.5-14 x 50 scope, and after 10 rounds of shoot/clean, the copper fouling pretty much stopped. The first 10 rounds I used graduated charges of H1000 with Berger 140 VLDs going up .7 grains each round. After that, the first group I shot was 4 rounds at 200 yards, each one with .7 grains more powder than the previous one, and it still shot a 1/2 MOA group. Can't wait to get it back to the range and see what she'll do with ammo thats all the same powder charge.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.