6.5-300 Weatherby sizing issues

bvarian

Hi everyone

Im hoping some of you veterans can help me.

I have a 6.5- 300 wby vanguard that started life with me as a factory rifle. I recently rebarreled it with a OMR carbon fiber also chambered in 6.5-300 wby.

I have a ton of fired brass from my factory set up that have been fired anywhere from 1 to 3 times. My rifle with the new barrel on it wouldn't chamber any of the reloads that I already had so I figured the chamber on my factory rifle must have been bigger. I took some fired brass and fl resized it as far as my die would let me camming over strong. Brass still wouldn't fit in the new chamber.

I borrowed some factory 6.5-300 wby rounds from a buddy and they fit and fired in the new chamber just fine. Using Hornady headspace gauges I measure the factory and fired brass (from the old barrel) and the factory shoulder is bumped back .0115 further than the fl sized fired brass. I have both Redding and rcbs fl sizing dies and Redding competition shell holders and rcbs shell holder. Neither will bump the shoulder back far enough.

If I fl size the once fired factory rounds that i shot out of my new chamber there are no problems chambers just fine. Although it more just neck size them doesn't bump the shoulder.

I don't want to just ditch all my fired brass since I have allot of it and weatherby brass isn't easy to find or cheap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Could also have a case body issue? http://www.larrywillis.com/

Slip a .014" steel feeler gauge into the shell holder and size 3 brass, do they chamber? 082171001611.jpgTo bump the shoulder back more.

Redding competition shell holders
Will not increase shoulder bump/setback. Shorter head to datum.

Also-
First look to see if there is day light between the shell holder & bottom of the fl die when sizing, at the top of the stroke. . If you see daylight, the die needs to be turned down more. This removes any spring in the press & removes slop in the press linkage.

But you did say you have cam over?

I think taking a few thousands off my die is the next thing I'll have to try.

I have the larrywills die. It makes no difference either.

There's definitely no daylight between the shell holder and the die it's definitely cammimg over plenty but I'll have to try the feeler gauges.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Happens all the time. Take die to any machine shop and have a little turned off the bottom. Or you might get enough by sanding down the top of your shell holder. I do them in my lathe and then polish the inside more with flitz. Also while dialed in on my lathe I tighten the lock ring and turn a little off the bottom of it to make it square to the die. You would be surprised how crooked some of them are.
Shep

Why does he need to contact who made it? He stated it fed and fired factory ammo fine.
Most custom Chambers are at zero or nearly zero headspace. Lots of factory dies won't size all the way on a custom chamber. Trimming the die back a little will fix it easy.
Shep

Curiosity question: Can you resize factory ammo brass that was fired in your new barrel OK? If you buy new brass then you may be in another conundrum where the die will not size down to belt on new brass that you fire in your new barrel. How many pieces of brass are you talking? 100? 200? I think I would think this through for future brass as well and basically do a cost benefit on die versus new brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.