6.5-300 wby problems

Sounds like not much help from Weatherby. You would think if you have a carbon ring you would being seeing pressure signs on every round. Couple of things you could look at. Measure case necks of a loaded and a fired round, or you can try sliding a bullet in a fired case. May be some of the brass necks are a little thick. Measure the belt above the ejector groove before and after firing. Usually the expansion will be consistent and gives an indication if the loading is consistent or not. Could try using a .270 or .30 caliber brush in the chamber neck to make sure it is clean or try to find some bore paste to see if that helps.

You should give Weatherby a call in regards to this. Blowing a primer with new loaded ammo or any ammo for that matter is way over pressure.
Is this Weatherby Ammo using Berger or another bullet manufacturer....either way I totally agree I would contact the ammo manufacturer...I would also pull a bullet from each one and weigh the charge. That way you may have the proof to say they were overloaded if the manufacturer says...they are loaded to less grain weight than what you have...just me

Is this the dreaded carbon ring?

Attachments

• 20210809193952.jpg
    20210809193952.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 20210809193632.jpg
    20210809193632.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 140
I don't know much but it did look like the 140gr Berger ammo was discontinued from weatherb. Last time I looked for it for my dad it wasn't even listed on the weatherby site (8months ago) . So there might be something to that. Or maybe not

I have a 6.5 300 wby mark 5 I have put about 120 rounds down the barrel. I have cleaned it diligently after every 20 or 30 shots. Now out of the last 10 or 15 shots I have been getting flattened primers and slight ejector marks on case heads with 2 different factory loaded ammo 140vld and 127gr lrx bullets and chronograph speeds around 3640 or so which is about 100fps faster than advertised. What is going on? I don't know if I should continue to shoot it until I find some answers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks
I just had the exact same issue with my weatherby mark V shooting factory ammo 127 Barnes lrx. 6 blown primers. How did weatherby remedy this. Did they send new ammo or have to fix the gun?

If you're getting cleaning liquids inside the chamber and not getting them cleaned out ,you will see this. Was shooting next to a guy with a new rifle that came over and asked what was going on and when he handed me the brass to show the pressure signs it was wet with hoppy's. He was ready to ship the rifle back. Once we got his chamber cleaned/dried out the best we could and he fired a couple more rounds it was fine.

What I found was that in the chamber where the belt matches up to the chamber there was a hair thin piece of brass that had come off from a previous fired round probably doing about the same as having oil in the chamber. After i got that out i have not had any problems so far but have only fired about 10-15 rounds since so definitely something to look for hope this helps

Man, my 6.5-300 vanguard is extremely accurate with hand loads. Really makes me want to shoot it more but I'm going let my brother have it and just use it for hunting

have you tried the 124gr Hammer Hunter? I'm going to but not sure where to start load development i have quite a few different powders any suggestions 🤔

I haven't. I'm using n570 with 156 Berger's. They're ( hammer) very helpful if you contact them. I'd probably still try n570 for the extra speed it gives and should be a decent burn rate and case fill. Will likely be an excellent bullet choice

I noticed pretty good spin drift with the absolute 116's so definitely print some paper out to your distance especially with the 1-8 twist. Very accurate bullets from my experience