6.5-300 wby problems

Teslong bore scope very inexpensive and a very worth while tool to have. Your brass is probably a lot shorter than your chamber length, and you have a carbon issue. Regular cleaning wont remove it.

Ok I talked to Weatherby c.s. and they wanted lot#s of ammo which I gave them and pictures of the case heads. I don't see how it would be the factory ammo also have flattened primer and black around it on a factory swift Sirocco 130gr shell case 3 different boxes and bullets. Would I get a carbon ring with only 120 or so rounds down the barrel? I don't have a bore scope to see is there any other way to check for a carbon ring?They also said if I need to send them the gun it would take 60-90 days so that gun would be out for this hunting season 🤔 thanks for your help
The 6.5/300WBY is an overbore cartridge and yes you could have a carbon ring in only 120 rounds.
What cleaning products do you use? Cleaning procedure?
I normally clean a stubborn carbon ring with JB bore paste or Iosso paste on a patch wrapped around a smaller caliber than the bore brush.

Last edited:
I have been using hopes 9 black,browning step 1 carbon remover,hopes elite gun cleaner. Cleaning using tipton bore guide Tipton 1 piece fiberglass rod. I run a couple patches down bore soaked in these cleaners all 3 and let sit for 2 or 3 minutes and then scrub with nylon brush 30 or 40 strokes and then dry patches and repeat 4 or 5 times. Since the carbon ring statement I have been scrubbing the throat area hundreds of times with these cleaners and nylon and brass brushes and also some carburetor cleaner seems I always get black coming out on clean patches. I ordered a bore scope but I need to get this thing shooting asap

Man, I've got 5-600 rounds out of mine. I love it. I use a bore guide and some hoppes about every 50 rounds. Your cleaning seems extreme but I don't think it would cause any problems other than it might screw with the accuracy. If it was shooting without problems when it was new, I'd probably run it over to the nearest gunsmith and have him take a peak at it

Gonna jump in here guys. I'm on my 5th barrel in 6.5-300, first 3 were still wildcats. Tried many things and here's how I maximize barrel life in 6.5-300
30 round traditional break in shoot 3 & clean with a moderate load of 8133.

Rounds 40-100, allow barrel to settle in watching velocity build and it normally settles around 75 rounds. Once velocity settles work up a load for pressure and accuracy
****clean when accuracy degrades****
My cleanings are never very "deep" normally just a wet patch of solvent then 20 strokes with a nylon brush, then dry patch until dry. Once dry run 1 wet patch with montana extreme bore conditioner, dry patch out before next shooting session. This normally takes 1 or 2 foulers most to settle back in. No need to burn up a good barrel cleaning and fouling

Took last stainless steel pac nor barrel off at 1100 rounds and the gunsmith kept it since it wasn't "burned out"

Stop cleaning so much. Shoot until accuracy starts to degrade then clean and refoul as necessary
Make sure your chamber is absolutely dry and has no residual cleaning product in it
Right on. I've always had squeaky clean barrels run higher pressures until I get 3-5 rounds down them.

Andrew massi how do you keep from getting a carbon ring? Thanks for the info. I have been struggling 😩
Never had one in many thousands of rounds.
See the post #20 above yours.
I think you may be over cleaning and over analyzing
The 6.5x300 is a high performance Round designed to put a bullet through game quick and flat. So- my only concern is being able to regularly ring a gong and that the rifle "shows up" on GameDay. Outside of load development and checking rtz I don't shoot paper just boring old rocks and steel.
It also sounds like your shooting many different factory rounds- I'd pick one your rifle likes and run with it. Be tough to beat any of the current offerings and other than the 156 there's really no appreciable difference between them until we'll past 500 yards

Thats a good idea. I was trying to make sure I didn't get a carbon ring. What ammo bullets are you shooting?
The one box of factory was the 130 sirrocos. They shot really good! After that it's been 143 eldx and 140 eldm's. The 140's were intermittently flying apart somewhere after 450 yards which was actually kinda fun. Hits on a bowling pin at 540 were spectacular if the come apart was timed perfectly lol. Currently have a load with 156's that's inside an inch @200 but haven't had time to take to distance. Probably wait till weather cools to play more.

Monitor the heat of your barrel.
I had a similar problem, though it was not the barrel heat.
I was out in the desert keeping in practice. I now keep my ammunition next to my body, inside my shirt. 96.2℉, unless I am overheating, then the increase of a few degrees.

I have a 6.5 300 wby mark 5 I have put about 120 rounds down the barrel. I have cleaned it diligently after every 20 or 30 shots. Now out of the last 10 or 15 shots I have been getting flattened primers and slight ejector marks on case heads with 2 different factory loaded ammo 140vld and 127gr lrx bullets and chronograph speeds around 3640 or so which is about 100fps faster than advertised. What is going on? I don't know if I should continue to shoot it until I find some answers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks
Is the bolt hard to open?