6.5-300 wby brass

Bmccart

I've tried doing the research to no certain conclusion. But can you neck 300 wby brass down to 6.5 to form 6.5-300 cases? Some say it works well, some say it works with some trimming and fire forming, some say it doesn't work at all. Just looking for a more definitive answer hopefully from some people that have done it or tried it. I have a ton of 300 wby brass and just sold the rifle, looking into getting a 6.5-300. If I can neck it down I'll keep the brass but if not I'm gonna sell it all.

thanks

I'm in a similar situation. Short on 6.5-300 brass and don't want to burn ammo just to generate it. There's a listing on GB for 33 "once fired" cases and the auction is up to $157, plus $20 shipping. That's $5.36 per case. You can buy Weatherby Select ammunition for half of that price. What are people thinking? Anyway, I have a surplus of 300 Wby. Mag. brass and would like to learn whatever you find out. I have a good idea of how to do it, I'd just like to find out what you learn. My understanding of how to do it is to use progressively smaller neck sizing bushings until you reach the desired diameter and tension. https://www.whiddengunworks.com/ sells or will make what you need and will make a hydraulic forming die for you to form cases outward instead of fire forming them.

I've tried doing the research to no certain conclusion. But can you neck 300 wby brass down to 6.5 to form 6.5-300 cases? Some say it works well, some say it works with some trimming and fire forming, some say it doesn't work at all. Just looking for a more definitive answer hopefully from some people that have done it or tried it. I have a ton of 300 wby brass and just sold the rifle, looking into getting a 6.5-300. If I can neck it down I'll keep the brass but if not I'm gonna sell it all.

thanks
I just bought 6.5-300 Wby Mag brass on Graf & Sons. Peterson brand, which is as good as you'll find. I would say it's superior to Weatherby factory brass, which I suspect is still made by Norma.

Recent Posts