6.5-300 vs 7stw

Hey, I have a 6.5x300Wby, I have no experience with the 7STW. If the Wby rounds "Falls off at 400" as stated in a earlier post, the 6.5 Creed must "fall off at 200" and the 6.5 PRC at 300. My Wby shoots a 127 LRX @ 3455 and puts 3 Shots way under MOA using IMR 8133, with no signs of pressure.
Take Care

Hey, I have a 6.5x300Wby, I have no experience with the 7STW. If the Wby rounds "Falls off at 400" as stated in a earlier post, the 6.5 Creed must "fall off at 200" and the 6.5 PRC at 300. My Wby shoots a 127 LRX @ 3455 and puts 3 Shots way under MOA using IMR 8133, with no signs of pressure.
Take Care
Hey Ricky, I finally got around to shooting my 6.5x300 with 127 and 130 grain factory Weatherby stuff, it doesn't like either of those. Really disappointed me. I am going to try the load that you are shooting and see if it will do better. I also have some RL33 and some US869, hopefully something will work in it.

Hey Smokey3, my load was 80 gr of 8133, I've used fed 215's and the GM215's and had very similar groups. I made a hornady comparator case from a 300 Wby case, that took a little bit of work! My chamber length using that case and the 127LRX is 4.157. I gave this load a slight crimp using a Lee crimp die. My cartridge length is is 4.123 using the Hornady comp. I also had groups just a little bigger at a length of 4.078 with everything else the same. 79 gr of Retumbo was right at one MOA. I will revisit using US869, I was getting higher velocity with it. It was the first powder I tried, got 3498 FPS with a SD of 8 with 92 grs.
Kind of windy the day I shot that load and right after that I finally found 8133. So that's what I went with for hunting season. I glass bedded the rifle too. First just the action and later a bead down the barrel channel. Good luck and Take Care

I used a 7mm STW for years. I was some what finicky. It took some effort to get it to shoot but would get down under 1/2 MOA. This started before range finders and ballistic apps were widely available. We made cases by fire-forming 300 Weatherby case. I have a friend that was crazy anxious to get a 6.5-300. He was in love with velocity. When he tried loading for it he spent a lot of barrel life chasing groups. He eventually found some combinations that worked but I think he used up about 1/2 of its barrel life. Not saying this is going to happen to you, just saying it happened. If I was going to build a big 7 I'd build a 28 Nosler. Its a standard cartridge and has decent brass availability, no belt, and is more of a shorter fatter case design than the long 7 STW cases which I'm convinced are not as efficient as the shorter fatter cases. Of course if you're willing to put up with single source brass there are other wildcat 7s and 30s that will out run the 28 some. Frankly for hunting the super accurate ballistics tools and range finders nullify the elevation issues super fast cartridges were fighting and to a deer or and elk there is very little difference between 3000fps and 3200fps just saying.

Thanks for all the info! From what I can tell the barrel should be 1 in 10 twist, which is ok for 140-160 Bullets at 4500 ft. When I get I'll measure the throat, and I'll go from there. 1 in 8 maybe it my future... I'd like to set up a dumbly cartridge with a 160 Accubond around 3.60 +/- and have a reasonable.020- .040 jump rather than like .200inch like my last rifle. I'd love some more H1000... that's not going to happen! The rifle is being shipped so I'll most likely have some more questions for you guys. Thanks

There actually has been some H1000 lately
Thanks for all the info! From what I can tell the barrel should be 1 in 10 twist, which is ok for 140-160 Bullets at 4500 ft. When I get I'll measure the throat, and I'll go from there. 1 in 8 maybe it my future... I'd like to set up a dumbly cartridge with a 160 Accubond around 3.60 +/- and have a reasonable.020- .040 jump rather than like .200inch like my last rifle. I'd love some more H1000... that's not going to happen! The rifle is being shipped so I'll most likely have some more questions for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.