6.5-300 vs 7stw

CoBry

Hello, all!!
First time I have posted in awhile. I'm just looking for some knowledge from this group on the 6.5-300 Weatherby. I'm a fan of the more classic belted magnums probably because of my age. LOL I've had a custom 7STW that I finally burned the barrel out a few years ago (based on a 700RM action). At the time, my gunsmith and I did a custom build on a 300 winmag using the long magazine length of the stw and a custom reamer basically giving the barrel a longer throat..which I guess is now the popular 300prc. So I've got my long range/elk rifle. I am seeking anyone's opinion that has shot and hand loaded both a 700stw, which I am accustomed to, and the 6.5-300. In as far as being finicky, is one more than the other? It will be used as a deer or sheep rifle. As a teenager, I had always wanted a 264 winmag and have always wanted a Weatherby just for nostalgic reasons. So that's the reason for my thought on starting down the path of a 6.5-300 because I am not really interested in the new non-belted 6.5's. I have also entertained building a 6.5stw. So, bottom line, I am wondering how the 6.5-300 Weatherby shoots? I know my gunsmith and I can come up with whatever we needed, but I have always wanted a Weatherby.
Sorry for being long winded, but any input on any other Weatherby caliber that I might be overlooking would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bryan

I had a 6.5 WSM and, at the time, a 6.5 8mm Rem Mag. This is essentially a 6.5STW.
Interestingly, the WSM was only 100fps slower than the STW while using way less powder.
I found both finicky to load for, so I abandoned them early.
The STW became my switch barrel 300Bee, 340Bee and 375Bee.
The 6.5WSM was a long action and it became my switch barrel 270Bee and 264WM.
Have never looked back.
They were accurate, but dialling in accurate loads was fraught with danger, especially the WSM. Pressure excursions were the norm with that round, not the exception.

Cheers.

I've recently played with a 6.5-300 Vanguard and ended up with RE 50 and the 143 ELDX doing 3250 fps. It was shooting 3/8" groups. However, I prefer my 6.5 SAUM shooting 140s @ 3150 as far as recoil goes.

Thanks for all of your help and reply's... very interesting!
Well I found a Weatherby mark V chambered from the factory in 7stw. I think I am going to look at the barrel, check twist and go from there. I keep all posted on my findings in case I have any questions. Thanks again Bryan

If you like the 7STW and are looking at the 6:5-300.....see what you can find on Harold Wolfe.......he designed the 7-300W(pretty much the 7STW) and the 6:5-300W in the 50s and built world record rifles for The Original 1000 yard range(1022 yards lol) in Williamsport PA.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.