6.5-284

EAF1B41C-37D6-4B65-9FA1-55E0B5145CB3.jpeg I have a 6.5-284 Norma on a Savage 116 long action in an Accustock that I bought used on the classifieds here. It's nothing special to look at, but shoots like a dream. It had a new 24" Savage factory barrel installed. I thought it would be a fun project and I'd put a new custom barrel on it quickly. Well......it was such a tack driver that I shot it waaaay too much and burned the barrel out after about 1200 rounds.
Even after the barrel was toast, it still shot the 124 gr Hammer Hunter bullets .3-.4" moa (while my Berger pet load was about 1 moa now). See the attached photo. That's a 4 shot group!!
The new barrel should be installed today, and I'll start load development again. It's getting a 26" Krieger, 1:8 twist, varmit contour with deep spiral flutes.
This cartridge is really accurate and pretty easy to load develop. It's why I stayed with it and got the new barrel.

Here is the reamer print I used to shoot the following group at 600 yards... (There are 5 shots in there; not 4...) Use Lapua brass and you do have to turn the necks to clean them up and get .003 total clearance. It is based on the Whitley reamer with some mods suggested by my gunsmith.

Sierra 142 MK
H4350 at 48.47 gr, BR2 primers
Barnard Model "S", Krieger 28" 8 twist, Jewell Trigger
GOOD shooting

Hello!

Usually I don't post a lot...

But this is a good chance!

Of course 6,5x284 is doable in your rifle... you may face some issues if your smith don't do a proper job (rebated rim, fatter case...)

For a Mauser being with you for 45 years... give him a proud second life: 6,5x57 ;)

Even 6,5x55 (lapua brass)

All '06 family will work well, but consider magazine length (6,5-06 for example).

Good luck with your new build!

Good round and at the top of the 6.5 pile. I've had one for about 15 yrs now and I have no regrets. My first barrel was a stock 26" Savage 112 BVSS. Kind of a rare bird and I guess a one time deal. Anyway, that was one of the best barrels I had ever seen on a factory rifle. It shot great from the first group (.3). I had about 900 rounds on it when I screwed it off. It was not shot out either, I just had the funds so I screwed a 28" Lothar Walther prefit on it. Another good barrel. How lucky can a guy get?
The factory barrel, along with the same 100 pcs of Lapua brass used throughout its life, was quickly scooped up by a shooting buddy. He's planning on putting it on another Savage action.

Bill,
The 6.5/284 is a great cartridge but the nearly identical (performance-wise) 6.5 PRC may become a lot more popular and likewise the brass for it may be more available and at lower cost.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.