6.5-284 questions

benchracer

If a barrel has already been chambered in .260 Rem or 6.5x55, could it be rechambered to 6.5-284 Norma without having to set it back?

Also, I have heard that the 6.5-284 Norma has only a slight velocity advantage over the .260 and 6.5x55 in barrels of 26" in length or shorter. What barrel length does the 6.5-284 Norma need to take advantage of its extra case capacity?

Not sure about 6.5X55 Swede but the barrel on my 6.5-284 was chambered for 260. The smith just rimmed it without setting back the barrel.

All are the same .264 bore, but no matter your choice, the barrel has to be "set back" if it is rechambered. Velocity depends on many things, your load and the bullet, twist, etc. Will your 6.5X55 or .260 action handle the longer length of a 6.5-284 case?? You need to discuss all of this with a smith.

Aldon, thanks for the link. That is a really cooool website. I am going to have to spend some more time there!

Desert Fox, I am glad to know that .260, at least, can be reamed to 6.5-284.

Gene, I have heard it stated before that the barrel must always be set back when it is rechambered, but I have never understood why that is. Can you enlighten me on this? When the barrel is set back, how much length is lost?

Thanks for the responses fellas!

Actually, very little is lost. The gunsmith needs to remove a short piece from the breech, just enough that his reamer will make a clean cut into the old leade and lands. The headspace must be correct for your new cartridge. That is why every rechamber has to be set back.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.