6.5 .284 powders

jacack

what type of powder are people loading in this one? I want to shoot the 142 MK's and havent been able to find much load data on it.I was thinking H4350 say 47grns?

thanks
Jared

I am using H4831SC in my 6.5/284 with good results I am using 50.5g with Lapua brass and 142g SMK. Start low and work up as usual
grin.gif

Crow Mag

Crowmag,

I used this EXACT same load with rem 9 1/2M primers last year and was getting 2980fps out of a 26" barrel. I went to a new lot and now 51.6 is only getting me 2840fps. Have you noticed big swings lot to lot?

This is my 5th pound of H4831SC, and the only one to disappoint me. RL22 is running over 100fps faster than my current H4831SC,, so something doesn't seem right.

Jared,

I agree with CrowMag's load, as well as RL22 in a similar weight, and 4350 starting in the 47gr range and working up slowly.(It's a much faster powder).

I've also tried V V N165, but ES was wild, as in over 130fps average, so I dropped testing it.

I wish all my rifles would just shoot VarGet
grin.gif

FatBoy...

I used H1000 and Fed 210M primers...

I The case was full to capacity. I shot itty bitty groups with that stuff..

FatBoy
I haven't run out of the first lot of powder yet I bought a pound and liked it so I got 2-8# same lot I will probably burn out the barrel before I run out of powder I was shooting 51g then I reamed the flash holes and had to back them off .5g. I am using Fed 210M primers
Crow Mag

Crow Mag,

I heard that opening the flash holes increases MV and decreases SD in the Lapua cases. They do have a small flash hole as compared to the winchester cases. This should also help eliminate the pockets from opening so fast,hmmmmmm. Who's reamer did you use?

Oh,, and how long a barrel are you using? Who's the barrel maker? Twist?

Sorry for the questions mang,,, just tryin' to get a handle on a new fagmag that's giving me fits finding a consistant load.

They're like kids aren't they,,, they never want to eat the same thing at the same time.

FatBoy...

For anyone using RL22 you need to keep an eye out for that one bad lot they put out about a year ago. It still could be setting on dealers shelves. They have a warning posted on their website.

Just for information consider Norma MRP for RL22 and MRP2 for RL 25. Graf and Sons is the sole US distributor. Both are very consistent powders from lot to lot and not temp sensitive.

Bh

FatBoy
I used the flash hole reamer that S1 makes.

Reaming the flash holes really maid my 6.5/284 come alive I am having a blast shooting it lately I may get a bolt for my big gun and have a 1.450 30" 1-8.5 Krieger barrel turned up for it with the same reamer you just cant have enough good barrels for one gun laying around.

The barrel is a Krieger 1-8.5 twist 28" long I am shooting right now.

Crow Mag

Fat Boy

If you have to have one, send me a check, and I will take care of ya. You could always make it easy on me and get a couple of your friends to order one at the same time.
grin.gif
Any body else need one this month, speak up now and I will handle your order with Fat Boy's.
smile.gif

Crow Mag,

Now that you have had a chance to load test a little, have you seen a significant reduction in vertical dispersion once a load is worked up with properly reamed flash holes?

I shot my 6.5 today and got decent groups with the 4831sc but the guy that built the gun said to use accurate 4350(50grns) with the 142MK's so I loaded 15 with that and they were the best by far but i think they were a bit hot,I could lift the bolt handle easy but hard to pull back and I could see extractor marks on the case so I think I will back it off and see how it shoots oh and it was doing 3120 to 3172fps with the 4350.what velocity should i be trying to stay at with the 142's?
I am useing the lapua brass and read the post about the flash hole reamers,what is the deal with that? is there some special way to do it? if so where do i get this wonder tool.
by the way my gun is a started out as a tikka M595 then went to accufilte in PA and got a 28" walther 1:8 reverse taper barrel and a trigger job and wears a 8X32 NXS.

Jared

[ 03-13-2003: Message edited by: jared ]

Tomahawk #1

Roger that.

Anyone else:

To receive a reamer please include the following with your order:

Name_____________________

Shipping ADDRESS___________________________

Check for $45.00 Payable to: A.R. Tactical, LLC
State whether you want a large rifle reamer, or small rifle reamer or both. Add an additional $40.00 for a second reamer.

I will mail your reamer to the address you provide, no additional charge.

Mail your order to:

A.R. Tactical, LLC
PO BOX 470
Chesterfield Mo 63006

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.