6.5-284 powder and case fill

RL 23 and WLR primers were the ticket for my Cooper backcountry in 6.5x284.
Lapua brass as well. Seating depth 0.010 off, 53.8gr, 3050fps with Berger 140 EH.
Used BR2 primers during load development and ended up at the 3020 fps and then tried WLR primers and the velocity went up.

Last edited:
DOUG, I would start in the 52gr range with H1000/Federal 210M primers, and work up. This assumes a 140VLD seated at least 3.1" COAL. While I haven't spent much time with this powder in my 6.5x284's, H1000 seems to run between H4831sc and Retumbo in burn rate, and may top out in the 2950FPS range in a 26" barrel. Keep an eye out for pressure signs as you work up your load!
Thanx, Greyfox. Much appreciated.

Over 10 years of shooting the 6.5x284 and numerous requests for hunting load advice, I will generally recommend a starting load of 55gr of Retumbo with Fed 210M/215M's. Usually a load in the 56-58gr range when using 140gr Bullets will deliver 2950-3030FPS and sub .5MOA accuracy. My experiences with this powder has been quite positive. I have found that several different lots of Retumbo(since the Extreme powder upgrade) have all been with 10FPS of each other. It has proven to be very temperature stable over several years of hunting in sub freezing, to hot summer target work. While a a slow burner, it will contain a complete burn in a 24" barrel, and while hard to verify, it is speculated that the more distributed burn can reduce throat erosion. It also appears to be quite shelf stable. I have gotten consistent results from cartridge loaded 3+ years prior to use. There are certainly lots of other powders that will work very well, but IMO, Retumbo it is a good try for the first time 6.5x284 shooter. IMO
I started with 55.0 Retumbo and worked up in .5gr increments to find my accuracy load. I used both 147 ELD-M and the 124 Hammer Hunter...and BOTH shot best at 56.0 grains of Retumbo...groups in the 0.2xx" range with both loads. I ran out of Hammers, and have more on order, so I don't have chrono data for them. I use a Magneto Speed v3, so I don't like to use it while shooting for groups and generally find my accurate load first, then load up another 10-15 of that load and chrono on the next trip to the range.

The 147 ELD-M at 56.0gr load gave me 2863 fps out of my 26" Criterion Remage Varmint 1:7.5" twist barrel. I know that's not quite the golden mark of 2950, but this is a 147 and not the 140 that is generally referenced. Running the numbers quickly, it seems like this load will still be potent at 1000, and even out to 1200, both of which are about 400-600 yards farther than I'm currently comfortable with on anything other than paper or steel. Do I need to keep working to reach the magical 2950? Groups open up going to 56.5 and 57.0, and I don't have a whole lot of room left in the case beyond that. I could maybe get to 58.0, but do I need to try or should I be content with 2863 fps for the 147 ELD-M and whatever that same charge turns out to be on the 124 Hammer Hunter (when I get more in, I'll chrono) since they are giving me groups in the 0.2xx" range?

I am guessing that you are pretty mild with the Hammers. Will like to see the vel. I would expect to see you about 3150fps. You may need to go to a faster powder to get there. Hard to walk away from a load in the .2's. Thinking you can still get it near a top end load.

Steve

I am guessing that you are pretty mild with the Hammers. Will like to see the vel. I would expect to see you about 3150fps. You may need to go to a faster powder to get there. Hard to walk away from a load in the .2's. Thinking you can still get it near a top end load.

Steve
Thank you Steve. I've ordered some more Hammer Hunters in 124, and also in 137. I know, I know, the 137 is probably better in a 1:7" twist and not my 1:7.5" twist, but I'm just too darned curious about them. AND since I'm apparently going to be doing more load tinkering anyway...:cool:

Personally I would just start with a velocity test. Load up in .5 grain increments and test velocity and for max. Find the velocity flat spots and test with 3-5 of each charge weight in .2 grain increments. Generally one of those will show a low extreme spread. I would then test for seating and accuracy while ensuring a low es. IMHO groups mean absolutely nothing without low es, stabile velocity. I use retumbo and RL 26 in my 6.5-284's. I look for es under 10 and usually can find something in the 5's.

Brent, can you explain how you find and what exactly you mean by " finding velocity flat spots"? Chris G

Google Scott Satterlee load development.

Basically you are looking at velocity from your charges and identifying where the velocity change is minimal. Generally in this area or node powder charge fluctuations still produce low sd's.

This is the way I do load development because I tend to pull shots. So a true ladder test can show deceptive results. Same with shooting OCW.

The purchase of my Magnetospeed has been my most useful reloading tool.

I'm now shooting low SD and ES reloads...even if I have a wild shot now and then, at least I know what cause the errant shot.

This is the way I do load development because I tend to pull shots. So a true ladder test can show deceptive results. Same with shooting OCW.

The purchase of my Magnetospeed has been my most useful reloading tool.

I'm now shooting low SD and ES reloads...even if I have a wild shot now and then, at least I know what cause the errant shot.

Good point. ladder tests are usually very good at tuning a load at a specific range. For example if you are a 600yard bench rest shooter I would suggest a ladder or ocw or both to tune that load for that range. For the overall long range shooter I am a firm believer in LOW sd/es and a good group. I personally don't care that much about crazy small groups and prefer consistency.

I'm having a custom 6.5-.284 built right now and he recommends RL-23 and guarantees extremely accuracy. Anyone else using this powder.

Sorroguys guess I should of read past the first page seems quite a few guys like the RL24! Forgot to mention he's recommending the Berger vld-h but I think I'm gonna try the 135 classic hunters.

Sorroguys guess I should of read past the first page seems quite a few guys like the RL24! Forgot to mention he's recommending the Berger vld-h but I think I'm gonna try the 135 classic hunters.
Not sure I understand why. The classic hunter was designed for people with magazine length issues. The 140 will have higher bc values, should have more energy, and you should not have any issue with COAL.

Have not tried RL 23 and don't know anyone who has. I tried to find some temp info on the powder and burn rate but not sure what I saw is accurate.

I shoot the Berger vld-h out my 6.5 creedmoor and on whitetail deer I always seem to get a exit hole even when I shoot the shoulder. That's why I was gonna go with the classic hunters I heard they don't exit as often as the VLD's and the BC isn't enough to matter all the way out to 700-800yds. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.