6.5-284 or 6.5-300 WSM

TGScott

I posted this question a few days ago under the title "Montana Rifleman Actions", a company I would still like to get some experienced advice on as they produce what appears to be a sound action available to south paws. I'd also like to hear about their barrel quality and gunsmithing quality. But the focus of my quandry is caliber. I've narrowed it down to 6.5-284 or 6.5-300 WSM (obviously I want a SA 6.5). I plan to use bulets in the 120-140 gr. range mostly and am a bit leery of the barrel life of the 6.5-300. If I go the 6.5-284 route I can find brass of good quality (Norma) easily and could use a SA LH Rem. 700 action (if I can find one!) ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

I had a 6.5/284 barrel done for my short hart action. I have been very impressed with the accuracy and the distance I have been able to hit with.I am using Lapua brass with the 142 SMK and 140 AMAX for my long range work. With the 6.5/284 I have made shots out to 1200 meters on rocks with 2moa left in the scope. The longest kill with this rifle is 950 meters or 1042 yards on a prairie dog ranged with a Wild range finder. The barrel is a 28in Krieger with a 1 in 8.5 twist

I have had better luck with a little faster twist, 1:8.2. Reamer was made by Dave Kiff, 6.5-.300WSM (6.5mm Rock). The shoulder is pushed back 0.100" for now, going to 0.150" later. Holds bullet nicely.

Mike Rock

If you want a short action 6.5 NOW, then go with the 6.5/284. It has quality brass and is proven.

The 6.5 WSM is a proven barrel burner.

Winchester is working with a 6.5 WSSM (Winchester Super Short Mag) maybe. Heard several are trying it out. Called Winchester special projects mgr for this and he will not confirm or deny, but sure wanted to know where I heard about it and exactly what I had heard. Especially since I knew who was making the reamer for them. He would only confirm that they are testing a series of WSSM cases and do not know which ones they will come out with first. He admitted the market is there for the 6.5 if they make one. A decision on which WSSM cartridges will be marketed will be made in Nov and announced at the Shot show.

Wait a few months, buy your barrel, action stock, trigger, etc and see what happens in Jan. Make a decision on what the 6.5 WSSM looks like (if it comes out).

BountyHunter,

I'd have to wonder if the WSSM will be more like a 260rem than a 6.5x284 performance wise, when it's all said and done. How short can you go and still expect 2950fps to 3000fps?

Bet it looks like a real big 6BR.

FatBoy...

[ 10-08-2002: Message edited by: FatBoy... ]

i have owned and shot ibs 1000 yd. matches with 6.5-284, 6.5-06imp. and 6.5-300 wsm. and the best results still come from the 6.5-06imp. barrel life is good and accuracy is great at 3150fps. to about 3300fps,Lapua make good 30-06 brass and 142 mks.,140 a-max or 147 gr.clinch river bullets all work good. i always shoot under 6" at a 1000yds.

Concur with comments on 6.5/06AI. I shoot 1000 yd BR with it also and love it. Easy to get 3050 fps and great accuracy. Did not mention it due to long action.

As far as the 6.5 WSSM my guess is that it will have velocity of 3000-3200 fps. Look at the 7mm WSM. Most people working with the 6.5 WSM have been working in those velocity ranges and I am sure that Winchester took that into account.

I would also guess that a 6mm WSSM is right behind or with it. Plus same velocity range with 105/107s.

PS Winchester has no intentions of contracting out to someone else for some "match" quality brass. So until Lapua or someone else makes it, you are into "pick and choose" with Winchester brass.

Concur with comments on 6.5/06AI. I shoot 1000 yd BR with it also and love it. Easy to get 3050 fps and great accuracy. Did not mention it due to long action.

As far as the 6.5 WSSM my guess is that it will have velocity of 3000-3200 fps. Look at the 7mm WSM. Most people working with the 6.5 WSM have been working in those velocity ranges and I am sure that Winchester took that into account.

I would also guess that a 6mm WSSM is right behind or with it. Plus same velocity range with 105/107s.

PS Winchester has no intentions of contracting out to someone else for some "match" quality brass. So until Lapua or someone else makes it, you are into "pick and choose" with Winchester brass.

The 6.5WSM is still in it's infancy as a true bench rest cartridge. I have been talking to some of the top shooters at Williamsport and several of them are shooting this round with great success. There are many experiments being tried on the standard WSM and Rem SAUM cases and modified wsm cases. Actually, a fellow shot several very small groups in competition with reduced velocity loads, around 3,025fps which is achieved with less pressure than the 284 case. Probably the most bold statement I heard was that the new short mag cases would dominate 1,000 yard events in the near future. This statemment came from one of the best shooters out there.
Now, to make things even more interesting, you have the Winchester Super Short Magnums. They have a 243 and 223 version so far but Kiff is already making reamers for the 6.5-243. I do not know what the case capacity is of these little rounds but it sure seems interesting!

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.