6.5/284 Norma

• Thread starter Deleted member 115374
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 115374

Hello all, I am going to build a 6.5/284 Norma, using a 240 Wby Mag MK 5 ultralight action w / existing composite stock. Douglas Barrels is going to install a 26" premium XX barrel for me. I plan on using the rifle as a hunting rifle, shooting 143 gr. ELDX or 140 gr. ELDM's most likely. Would like to have the option of possibly using the 155 gr. bullets that are currently available by others. My question is for you guys out there that are handloading for this caliber - what is the magazine length that you are using ? My current mag length will allow for a SAMMI length load plus about a 1/4".

Its gonna depend on the reamer used, Stan at Douglas could probably answer that question for you.
I have been in contact by email couple times w/Stan. I haven't called him yet because I thought that might be a question he would have for me, ie: which reamer would he like me to use ? This is my first gun/modification so I am new to this. My thinking was if I wanted to seat the heavier, longer and higher B.C. bullets I might need a longer magazine in order to not compromise case capacity etc.. In order to do that, my thinking was I would need the answer to the mag length ? before I called him. Maybe I have the cart ahead of the horse ?
Thanks

I have been in contact by email couple times w/Stan. I haven't called him yet because I thought that might be a question he would have for me, ie: which reamer would he like me to use ? This is my first gun/modification so I am new to this. My thinking was if I wanted to seat the heavier, longer and higher B.C. bullets I might need a longer magazine in order to not compromise case capacity etc.. In order to do that, my thinking was I would need the answer to the mag length ? before I called him. Maybe I have the cart ahead of the horse ?
Thanks
As I stated in my original post it is a 6.5/284 Norma as called out in Nosler reload manual and others

Sorry I refer to the Norma version as Lapua because the guys I know that have them run Lapua brass.
0409202028.jpg

Since your WBY action is a long action, I think you will be fine with the 155 class bullets in that mag
Yeah, I think so. I just pulled it apart, pulled the mag box so I could measure top and bottom. I am dead on at 3 7/16" inside dimension so I would think that would give me enough to play around with seating depths. I read an article on 6.5/284 conversions that on some actions the feed rails may need to be modified in order for the bolt to pick up the rebated rim on the case for reliable feeding. Article was from Terminal Ballistics Research website. Thanks for the feedback.

Hello all, I am going to build a 6.5/284 Norma, using a 240 Wby Mag MK 5 ultralight action w / existing composite stock. Douglas Barrels is going to install a 26" premium XX barrel for me. I plan on using the rifle as a hunting rifle, shooting 143 gr. ELDX or 140 gr. ELDM's most likely. Would like to have the option of possibly using the 155 gr. bullets that are currently available by others. My question is for you guys out there that are handloading for this caliber - what is the magazine length that you are using ? My current mag length will allow for a SAMMI length load plus about a 1/4".

Can you do that with a magnum boltface?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.