6.5 284 norma

Topshelfbv

I just bought a 6.5 284 norma for a good friend. This rifle is all set up and proven to be a reliable 1000 yrd riffle. I want it to be primarily a sheep/goat riffle. I am not really familiar with this caliber any one out there have thoughts on it as a long range sheep rifle? i was going to convert a mauser-werkr m96 strait pull to a 280AI and might still down the road, but with the norma all my work is done.

How long is long range? I assume you are trophy hunting for sheep? I would think 500y would be about as far as you can get a good look at a ram and determine if it is a good trophy or not, so the 6.5x284 should be great.

We have a customer that guides sheep hunts and builds rifles. He sets his clients up with 25-06 running our 116g Sledge Hammers and they anchor big rams out to 500y.

The 6.5-284 would push our 130g Sledge Hammer at about 3100fps. Will handle anything you want to hunt.

Steve

i would like results at 1000. i see them all the time in montana at all ranges. 750-100 for my 338lp is not an issue but then again I'm throwing a 300 gr out there not a 140. i just want to know as long as i can do my part and put a round where i want at the distance i want the bullet will have the effect i am looking for. if i can ring steel every time at 1000 but the bullet doest have much killing power at that distance i probably should be using a different round.

i was going to convert a mauser-werkr m96 strait pull to a 280AI

Maybe I am not understanding you, but M96 Mausers are small ring and not what I would use for a 280 AI, or much of anything custom honestly. 6.5x284 is a fine long range cartridge for medium stuff. Burns barrels per the internet, but that declaration likely results from rapid fire shooting. OTOH, there's lots of guns that will burn up barrels if you shoot fast and hot....

OK, I see there are these strange looking Mauser-Werke Straight pull things out there. Be aware that M96 is and was an original designation from Mauser and it describes a different gun..... Entirely.....

I have always heard that the 96 could not be loaded to pressures like the 98 and others. That it was rated around 45,000 psi. There does; however, seem to be a lot of evidence in Europe to the contrary? I guess it depends on who you believe?.....rich

Here's a Cpl picture of my 6.5-284 Norma built on a Husqvarna H5000 (HVA) action, Benchmark #1 contour Barrel, Timney Trigger and a Wildcat Composite stock, a pleasure to shoot, one of the best 6.5 cartridges for an all round hunting cartridge.

The target below was shot at 100 yards with reloader 22

Last edited:
Yeah husqvarna small ring sick gun one of the strongest smoothest actions you can get love me a 1900. 6.5x284 is my favorite caliber am building another one right now. I'l stick with savage actions as I'm no gunsmith. Getting to a thousand with killing power is not a problem for this cartridge unfortunately I don' think I am confident in my skills to take that shot I'll stay inside 700.

WBY Fan: In a departure from the mag calibers I usually use. I have purchased a Cooper in 6.5 x 284 in anticipation of extended ranges needed for up coming Blue Sheep and Snow Sheep hunts. I have been told that I could expect possible ranges in excess of 500 yards. I am looking at most likely the 140 Berger or ELD-X in 143. Would you mind sharing the powder you used to produce your apparent outstanding success with the ELD-X - what is the range that your target was shot at? Thanx

WBY Fan: In a departure from the mag calibers I usually use. I have purchased a Cooper in 6.5 x 284 in anticipation of extended ranges needed for up coming Blue Sheep and Snow Sheep hunts. I have been told that I could expect possible ranges in excess of 500 yards. I am looking at most likely the 140 Berger or ELD-X in 143. Would you mind sharing the powder you used to produce your apparent outstanding success with the ELD-X - what is the range that your target was shot at? Thanx

Retumbo/210 primer/143 gr ELDX is the ticket. You'll find your load will come in between 56-58 gr of Retumbo. Mine is 57.6 gr with a velocity of 2973 fps
The 140 VLD's and the 124gr Hammer Hunter like H4831.
This caliber is sooooo accurate. It's my fault if it's not shooting well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.