6.5-284 Norma 127gr LRX Retumbo Load Results

JOHNSONJC79

Hi Everybody I just wanted to put out there that I worked up a load using the 127gr Barnes LRX bullet with Retumbo this week. I called Barnes and they had no recommendations using this powder. The rifle is a Nosler M48 Patriot 6.5-284 Norma. Having read a lot and chatting with greyfox I worked up sucessful 140gr loads for Berger VLD at 57.0 gr and a COAL of 3.18 with Fed 215M. In comparison the 127gr LRX is almost equal in length with a larger bearing surface due to the shape. I chose to try the same 57.0 gr load of Retumbo and seated them at 3.15. The Results in my Nosler were amazing! .68 group outside at 200yds, very accurate! They had an avg of 3000fps and spread of 9.

DISCLAIMER-PLEASE if you try this load start low and work up!!!!! Hope this will help others in the future looking at this combo.

Good luck and happy shooting!

I am running the 127 LRX with 49.0 grains of 7828 Fed 210M in Lapua at 3030fps.
If I can get more retumbo I would like to try some but am saving it for my RUM.
Thanks for sharing.

So I hope greyfox jumps back at me.
But I have a Mcmillan 6.5x284 complete rifle.
My lands is 3.275. I just loaded at 3.15 based largely on this post and I know greyfox knows his 6.5x284s. Anyway I misread it and loaded 49.8-50.4 by .2 GR per 3 shots.

I'm guessing way low but I really don't want to pull the bullets. It's with retumbo and the gun is new so I figure not a bad break In if it doesn't work well.

Anyway I will be sure to go up to 57 next time. Just slowly to make sure no pressure.

I have 2 8 lb jug of retumbo so I want to find something that likes it. But I will change if needed.anyway I'll let you know how it does.

So I hope greyfox jumps back at me.
But I have a Mcmillan 6.5x284 complete rifle.
My lands is 3.275. I just loaded at 3.15 based largely on this post and I know greyfox knows his 6.5x284s. Anyway I misread it and loaded 49.8-50.4 by .2 GR per 3 shots.

I'm guessing way low but I really don't want to pull the bullets. It's with retumbo and the gun is new so I figure not a bad break In if it doesn't work well.

Anyway I will be sure to go up to 57 next time. Just slowly to make sure no pressure.

I have 2 8 lb jug of retumbo so I want to find something that likes it. But I will change if needed.anyway I'll let you know how it does.

I think you are right that the light load will be of little use other then breaking in the barrel. I would pull the bullets using your press with either an RCBS style collet puller, or Grabber. I have had the need to pull bullets on several occasions over the years for a variety of reasons. If you don't already have one, it's a useful investment. Given the brass is not been overworked, I would correct your charge, and just reseat without bothering to resize the neck.which has worked OK for me, or just run them through a neck sizer w/o the de-capping pin. IMO

I think you are right that the light load will be of little use other then breaking in the barrel. I would pull the bullets using your press with either an RCBS style collet puller, or Grabber. I have had the need to pull bullets on several occasions over the years for a variety of reasons. If you don't already have one, it's a useful investment. Given the brass is not been overworked, I would correct your charge, and just reseat without bothering to resize the neck.which has worked OK for me, or just run them through a neck sizer w/o the de-capping pin. IMO

Ok I will follow your advice. I will pull and start at like 56.5 and go up. I have a bullet puller so I will get that done next week likely. Maybe tonight if I get everything done.

I would neck size them after pulling the bullets, otherwise you may have a larger ES or something and you will be left scratching your head and maybe have to do it all over again. You can often feel the difference in the seating pressure(less of it) when reseating bullets on pulled cases. Why leave anything to chance ? No shortcuts, you are already doing some of it over, start from zero and get it right. Otherwise you may not have the best data to make your decision on a load.

Just finished loading. Went to 3.19 on OAL. since my total length is 3.275 or so I figure I have room.

I'll see how these shoot next week when I get home from meeting in San Diego, ca

See how it goes.

So I shot and none of them were great!!! All about 1-1.25 moa at 100 yards. No signs of pressure at all and all we're consistently spread around. I'm going to keep going up as I had no sign of pressure and I'll see when I get either a tough bolt lift or marks on the brass. I hear a lot about 4350 but I have so much retumbo I want to find something with it.

I have been following and looking at all the information I can on this round since I put together a re-barreled Savage 110a month ago. And I finally got 2 loads put together this weekend, but I have never had to pull as many bullets from so many loading's as I had to with the 6.5x284 Norma...it was worth it...it's a shooter!