6.5-284 Neck diameter

matcannava

Some guidance if you guys wouldn't mind....

BAT will be chambering a Krieger in 6.5/284 and their reamer is for a .290 neck. I will be neck turning...also it won't need the reliability of a 'life or death' firearm.

Any reason that I should ask him to open that up a bit?

Thanks.

MD

.290 is the standard neck for the 6.5 for 1k BR guns and you are right it will require neck turning. You will have to do extensive turning to get there (down to about .012 or .0125, but as long as you understand that, then no problem. I would go with the .012, gives you a little more margin of error if you are new at this.

BH

i agree with fatboy-my loaded rounds b4 turning are .296-7,i have a .297 neck in mine so i just "clean up" the necks so my loaded rounds after are .293,much easier than .290 neck IMO.my-2-dave

Thanks guys.
Mike Bryant is building my new 6.5x284. He has a reamer with a .290" neck and a throat set-up for the Sierra 142SMK so that is what I went with.
I just ordered some Lapua brass, dies, etc and was wondering how much I would need to turn off the necks.
Looks ike about .003"-.004" will get turned off.

VH

my reamer is a 294 neck so i will probably clean up most ofa lapua neck without having too take too much brass off and heat up the neck turning tool.

My reamer is to John Hoover's Spec but 294 instead of 296 like his.

I'll rent you the reamer for a job if you dont want to turn off so much brass
wink.gif

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.