6.5/284 long or short action?

PrimeTime

I am building a new rifle in this caliber and have a short action on hand. I will be using it as a single shot but want to load the longer bullets (142 MK's) out close to the lands. Could I do this with a short action or should I buy a long action.
Thanks

PT-

A short action should be fine. Especially if you plan on loading single-shot. I have a 6mm Rem on a s/a that I load "long", and have no problems. The 284 case is shorter, so it should be even better.

Let me know how it goes for you. I've been considering rebarreling one of my rifles to the 6.5-284.

Thanks, I'll probably use the short action I have and will let you know when I get some testing done on it.

ok here is all the answers u want.u can use the short action BUT it wont be able to eject a live round with out u removing the bolt..partialy..u wont be able to use the mag.but u said u were going to single feed any way.that is all u have to worry about the thing is that a 6.5-284 seated out is longer than a 308 but shorter than a 30-06....thats how mine is with a 140g sierra match king. i use the long action because that is what i was advised to use. but if i were to have a second chance at it i would have never used the long action.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts