6.5-284 in a sa?

If I were you I would built it on the Savage long action, you already have the correct bolt diameter

That's good thinking! It would be an easy barrel swap and that's about it.

If the Barnes don't shoot well, there are other unleaded alternatives now...

I thought I could have a smith change the bolt face. I really don't know, I just thought that is what you do. Mine is DBM also. .

About changing the bolt face, it's a lot easier to open up the bolt face to a larger diameter than go the other way. Even here in Denver I don't believe I could find a smith to close up the bolt face on my Browning for a reasonable price. The smiths that I met have more profitable projects to do.
So think $$$$.

Also, there is going to be a problem trying to get your Browning WSM magazine to feed SAUM. The SAUM is 0.20 shorter. This is enough to cause a problem feeding. The magazine will require some remodeling. It helps if you have done this before. Unless you can afford to throw $$ at magazines for experimenting, you would be better advised to stick with a WSM cartridge for your WSM magazine and WSM bolt face.

I have jumped through these hoops to get my 7mm SAUM Browning to feed and function as a repeater. Next time I will choose my cartridge from the magazines that are available from Browning. :D

You might be able to sell this rifle and buy something easier to customize. :D
If you choose to build on a Remmy, Winny, or Savage you will not have this problem.

Hope this helps.

.... you would be better advised to stick with a WSM cartridge for your WSM magazine and WSM bolt face.

I agree.... it's best to spend the money on the dies. You probably dont even have to go custom with Honady dies their seaters will seat for a varity of cartridgs and you can use a bushing die for sizng the 6.5 WSM.

Thank all of you for the input. I'm thinking I'm not going to mess with the browning yet, but when I do, its goin to stay as a wsm of some sort or sell it and get a remmy donor. I think I'm going to start with the savage LA. Maybe a 6.5-284 or a 7stw. Not really sure yet. Do any of you savage guys have any experience with "Sharp Shooter Supply"? I don't know of any reputable smiths in the area, not that there aren't any, Iv'e just never done this before. I'm not opposed to sending my gun off somewhere to get worked on. They are the only place I've found with left-handed savage stocks.

oh really? thats good to hear. They are the only one's I've found who has left-handed stocks. I got to looking at my savage .243 LA and realized the mag is for a sa. Is that a big deal for a smith to open up the cut out for the mag to hold say 7stw? And I also have an old springfield 1903, I was wondering if that could be turned into a long range gun. the serial # is in the 200,000's and I'm pretty sure it has been rebarreled with the 4 groove rifling, because it is stamped 2-44. It has been drilled for scope mounts and had a scope on it. I got it from my great grandpa. It has a sporter stock so i know it has been shot somewhat recently. I don't think it is one of the ones that is at risk to blowing up on you.

Ya you are right, but my .325 is factory sporter weight with wood stock, it is light. I put a good pad on it and I can shoot it more comfortably now, it just gives me a golf-ball size knot in my shoulder at the end of the day. Looking at the recoil chart the 7 stw is less than the .325 and if i were to have one built it would definetly be heavier, which might get it down closer to a 30-06 in a light sporter weight or so? My friend has a .270 wsm in sporter weight and it is way more comfortable for me to shoot than my .325.

I think its because you have to seat those high b.c. bullets out so far to get them to perform, you would have loading problems. But like I said I would be shooting barnes bullets, I didn't check to see if the lengths were that much different for the say berger or the other popular long range bullets. I know guys have done it in a short action but I am new to custom rifles so I'm not a viable source. That's why I was asking. I don't want build a gun that is designed to shoot lead bullets for the once a year hunt i do out of state. I want it to be my all-around gun that I grab to go shoot squirrels, coyotes, or deer or for trying to shoot steel at 1000 yds.
I'm not opposed to the 6.5 wsm I just have read a lot of good things about the 6.5-284 Norma. If the wsm is only .07 shorter then maybe I could pull it off with the barned or e-tips (if they come out with a 6.5mm).

Thanx for the input, any more would be apreciated.

jake

This is exactly what i was told. However what about a 6.5 rem mag?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.