6.5-284 & IMR 4831

Mayhem 487

I'm sure this has been touched on, but I can't seem to find any info addressing this question. I have a 6.5-284, 24" 1-8 twist, running Berger 140 vld with 52g of Hodgdon 4831, getting around 3k fps. Unfortunately I'm having a very very hard time getting any more H4831. Like everyone else I'm sure.
My question is, am I able to get the same fps with imr 4831? If so, at what grain? I know imr burns differently, so I was checking what others have done. I'm sure I'm not the first, but if I have to start over with a whole new recipe, I guess I will.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

I'm sure this has been touched on, but I can't seem to find any info addressing this question. I have a 6.5-284, 24" 1-8 twist, running Berger 140 vld with 52g of Hodgdon 4831, getting around 3k fps. Unfortunately I'm having a very very hard time getting any more H4831. Like everyone else I'm sure.
My question is, am I able to get the same fps with imr 4831? If so, at what grain? I know imr burns differently, so I was checking what others have done. I'm sure I'm not the first, but if I have to start over with a whole new recipe, I guess I will.

Any input would be greatly appreciated
This is from the Nosler loading hand book
image.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome. You will need to start over with IMR 4831. Never used IMR 4831 because of temp stability. You should get more velocity out of it for sure. Just make sure to shoot it in cooler weather before hunting season to ensure it shoots the same POI if that is what you settle on. It's not the same grain for grain.

I had issues with RL17 in differing temps before.

And if you come across any Retumbo, I and many others on this forum have had incredible results with it. I think right now though it's use what you can find- the IMR should be great once you find the right charge.

Enjoy, and welcome to the forum from Dallas/Ft. Worth!

Looks like you are running a couple of grains over max for H-4831 and it is performing well. You might start with what the book says before going over max with IMR 4831. In my guns I got pressure signs with a little lower charges with the IMR

OR BUY Quickload software that way one can look at what is available to you for reloading components hopefully you can then determine if you can build another load for the rifle. Yes a little pricey but worth it if you really learn to use the software

I've read that 6.5 staball is somewhere between 4350 and 4831 burn rate. As I've powder hunted all year it has been one of the most widely available powder I've seen along with ramshot lrt. I'm shooting the lrt in the 26nosler and pretty happy with it. Just a thought to try.