6.5-284 build ?'s

strikezone37

Prob going to build a 6.5-284 on a left handed rem 700 action. All suggestion will help me in the process to build a great gun and bypass mistakes made by others. I am thinking a 26" barrel but not settled on the twist rate as of yet, 140 bergers. Many good barrel makers out there but would like to use one that can do all the work at the same time. The 700 is a long action out of the Remington custom shop but I'm guessing the barrel guys will still need to true it to the barrel. Just getting into this so I am not very knowledgeable about how all this works so please take it slow and in somewhat of a form that i might understand. thanks

A 26" barrel is a good length that should give velocities with a 140 Berger in the 3000 FPS range. I shoot 2975 and 3025 with my two rifles. Get a 1:8 twist. Chambered for 6.5-284 Norma, Lapua brass unturned I'd go with a .296" chamber neck. Loaded Lapua brass and a 140 Berger the neck OD is .292". Throated for the 140 Berger's, the cartridge OAL with the bullet at the lands should be 3.18-3.19". It's personal reference, but a total rifle weight with scope of 10-11# makes for a stable platform for 1000+ yard work without carrying like a crowbar.

I second the 1 in 8 twist. I had a build that had a 26in 1 in 8 criterion barrel that ran 140 bergers like a dream.

Do you plan on packing this rifle on Back Pack hunts or shooting just form a stand or stable platform without carrying it a good distance?

If the former stick to the 26" length and probably no heavier than a nice fluted Light Varmint contour.

If the latter I'd go with a Sendero Contour, fluted, and 28" Length.

I"m with the rest of the gang, go with the 1:8 twist and you'll be a happy camper.

i have two. a single short action and a fluted sendero . both 1-8.5 and both kriegers. neither action was ever "trued".

Having built a number of them and currently using one as my main LR rifle I think you are getting some good advice here but a .296" neck is going to require you to turn neck on Lapua and W-W brass. I don't use Norma brass so can't comment on that. The smallest neck I would go with plans to NOT turn brass is .298" and .299" is safer.

I have a .297" neck and on some lots I have to make a skim cut to get good bullet release.

For a field portable hunting rifle, I use 25" barrels. I can still get 3000 fps if that is my goal and is a little stiffer and lighter.

My preference is for an 8.5" twist. It will stabilize any bullet commonly used (142 SMK, 140 Berger etc). It is more forgiving when shooting the excellent 130 grain bullets though. I push these to 3200+ and jackets can start to come apart at 3250.

I am using an 8" twist Shilen on my current rifle and it shoots bug holes. Shilen does not make an 8.5" twist. As far as barrels are concerned; any of the name brand quality barrel makers are going to make barrel that is capable of shooting better than a repeater 700 action is. Don't get too hung up on it. If you building a 1000 YD BR rifle or a competitive F-class rifle (all single shots of course) you can sweat the details a little more.

I like the McMillan Hunter pattern stock. It has a palm swell and a very beefy forend and can take up to a #7 contour I believe. I use #4 myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.