6.5 284 build questions

Coloradomuley

Hey guys looking at building a 6.5 284 for my son on a rem 700 LA I had laying around. I have never messed with the 284 case so I have a few questions.

1. I am looking for reamers to run 140-156 Berger's efficiently and with that where does that put the COAL on the cartridge with this bullets seated properly in the neck.

2. Feeding? I have heard these cases do not feed well in a BDL set up so is the 3.1" offered in say the HS precision DBM system the way to go?

3. barrel length? What's the right balance on this cartridge? 22"-24" was my thought and possibly a brake for the young guns so they aren't afraid of the recoil. Is 22" enough to run a 140 Berger 2900 FPS? Or is 24" the better fit.
Thanks guys hope to have this thing rolling soon

I ran mine in a stiller tac 300, I had no problems with feeding. Mine had a 25 in barrel, but would have no problems with 23-26 in barrels 22 might be on the short side to get your required speed

Not sure if I can help or not, but I do shoot the 6.5x284 Norma with 143 Eldx's and Rl23. My barrel is 24" and then the muzzle brake after that and my velocity is 2960 fps. In my opinion, a 22" barrel doesn't serve the cartridge well and is better for a Creedmoor size case. My OAL for the 143's 3.155. Wish I could be of more help, good luck on the build, it's a great round.

I have a 6.5-284 built on an ADL with HS bottom metal. Rounds will not feed properly from the HS mag. I replaced it with BDL bottom metal and it feeds great. Build a dummy round with the bullet you want to shoot and your smith can use a throating reamer to get your seating depth where you want it.

You want the Norma reamer, it is throated for the long heavy bullets.
I have a 1:8" blank 31" rough throated for the 6.5-284 Norma. Never found a donor to screw it onto.

Cheers.

I used a Norma Match reamer from PTG. 29" Krieger barrel on a 700 action. Wyatt bottom metal for the extra length. Haven't had much time to work up a load yet but I am experimenting with Berger 153s. A lot of folks really like 140s with this caliber.

Installed the Gen 3 APA Little Bastard brake and it shoots very easy even at max loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.