6.5-284 Berger 130 AR Hybrid ?

sean30ber

I obtained a JSipp Custom, 28 inch Kreiger in 6.5-284. I have a bunch of Berger 130 AR Hybrids so I went out to do a velocity ladder just to see where I was with it and pressure. I shot H4350-Its all I have besides RL17, .020 off the lands. My Creedmoor is shooting these at 2804 sd-3 with 41.8 of the same. Im surprised this 284 is shooting only slightly faster than the Creed with a LOT more powder, or maybe im missing something. I weigh, sort, measure and load to the granule when working a load. Temps were about the same during each test session. Pic of my velocity chart today. No pressure signs. All but the last 3 shots were sub MOA. Last 3 were on the MOA line so its going to shot lights out.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    119 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Thats what I thought. It was even slower than the published load data. Wish I had other powders. Im on every notification list out there. I have tons of 4350 so Ill play with it for now, until I get lucky and score powder.

I ran Retumbo in mine, as have others on here, with 140gn up through 156gn. Excellent accuracy, velocities, ES's and SD's. As good as Retumbo is with the Norma round, it pales, I think, compared to RL26. You can get some scary velocity from that powder.
What you're getting with H4350 is about right. I tried that powder when I first started with the 6.5-284 and was disappointed in the results. So I started reading and trying slower powders and sure 'nough, it screams with the two mentioned.
I guess for now just run with H4350, break in the barrel and preserve your brass. Hopefully this drought isn't permanent.

Thats what I thought. It was even slower than the published load data. Wish I had other powders. Im on every notification list out there. I have tons of 4350 so Ill play with it for now, until I get lucky and score powder.
See if you can't make a trade with another member for powder better suited for your rifle

Sean, Hello. If your close to I40/ Kingman (or plan'n to be ) and would be interested in a trade for some Rifle Primers ( Lrg/ Sm ) or ??? .... I have a few pounds of different Hogdon Powders ( H1000 , Staball6.5 , 4831sc ) that I'd be willing to pony up for you to do a lit'l testing to see what yur rifle likes. Been ther done that Brotha. Scott

Sean, Hello. If your close to I40/ Kingman (or plan'n to be ) and would be interested in a trade for some Rifle Primers ( Lrg/ Sm ) or ??? .... I have a few pounds of different Hogdon Powders ( H1000 , Staball6.5 , 4831sc ) that I'd be willing to pony up for you to do a lit'l testing to see what yur rifle likes. Been ther done that Brotha. Scott
Thanks for the offer. I have no plans of being up there anytime soon. If things change, I'll holler at you.