6.5/.284 barrel twist

trb0

i am looking to build a hunting/target rifle with ranges out to 500 yards for 150# whitetails and paper out to possibly 800 yds.using 140 grain bullets in a 26-28 inch barrel what is the best rate of twist. timbo

Most all the barrel manufactures offer and suggest a 1-8 for anything above 120 grn. I would look into a three grove for longer life me personaly

d-a

Timbo,
I have to agree with d-a on the 1-8". Although I don't have a 6.5x284, one of my shooting buddies has one with the 1-9" twist and can definately see a slight difference in accuracy when going from the 120 to 140gr bullets. His shoots the 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip like nobodies business, but shoots the 140/142gr pills around .75-1". Probably "gud enuf" for most people but not for him. He wanted to shoot the 140's at LR (1000yds) but doesn't feel confident enough with it. He now has a cryo'd 28" Lilja 6.5mm blank with 1-8" twist. He hasn't screwed it on yet but plans to shortly. Hope this helps. Johnny K.

some ik competitors use a 9 twist in the 6.5 even with a smaller case capacity.it's nice to spin a bullet a little faster when going through game as opposed to simply flying through the air.an 8 twist would give you a little extra for hunting and also let you try some longer bullets if you ever got that itch.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.