6.5/280AI?

I have a 280AI and a 6.5-284 built on Husky 5000 actions, small ring mausers, and feeding is not an issue, the gunsmiths had to tweek the feed rails slightly but that was it, they work awesome.

Last edited:
Rich would probably know for sure. I would guess 3,500 +/- , depending on brass. I've not shot but 140s and up, so I'm guessing.

So how fast can the 6.5 Sherman push the Barnes 127 TTSX?
PLENTY FAST ! ! ! I would take advantage of the added horse power and stick with 140gr.+ pills though. I know you said you like to keep shots under 400 yds., but that's just my $.02.

Got a ton of Norma 280 brass right now, but was contemplating the 155 Bergers and would like to push them fast. So, that RWS might work, if enough capacity is available. Probably have to go back to RL-26.
Should you ever want to part with that 280 Norma brass please hit me up. Primer pockets tend to be a bit soft, but it is good brass to work with.

Thanks sir, I sure love the "looks" of the Sherman Wildcats, ha. I have never had a need for , what I call, LR Hunting, even set up a few rifles through the years just for that, but could never make myself shoot at an animal that far. I guess being reared up in the Big Thicket of East Texas had that effect on me, ha. It took me 20yrs to get a shot past 90yds down there and when I shot a buck at 276 steps on a pipeline (with a stock Mod 77 .280/but my first 139 Hornady hand load was called a liar about "that", ha.
I have had several LR rifles built, big dial em in scopes; gave two away and sold the rest...at 65 its doubtful I'll pursue it again. Thanks a bunch guys!

Do you guys think the 6.5 PRC would work well through the '98 action? Feed well w/o a lot of rail work? I am way too anal for a repeat of that 6.5/284/Mod 700 SA unreliability. Just wondering if it would be worth trying the 6.6 PRC for good velocity and accuracy from store bought ammo?

I have two custom rifles built on Small Ring Mauser Actions/HVA Actions if you will, a 280AI and a 6.5-284 and minor adjustments on the feed rails was all that was needed and both feed like a dream, I'm having a 6.5 PRC built on a Kimber Montana 8400 WSM Action/Rifle as we speak.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.