6.5-280AI load data

lee31

My buddy just had a 6.5-280AI built. Anyone have any load data???? He has a pile of 130 Nosler accubonds and 130 Bergers. He also has RL23 and H1000. I think these powders should be pretty good in this cartridge.

I guess not many have experience with this cartridge?? So we did a little shooting today. Started with 55 grains of RL23 cci 200 and a 130 accubond. Velocity was a little slow right at 2900 with 20 thousands jump we had a group at 1.120 at 100 yards. I also tried 60 grains of Retumbo with a fed 215 and it was 1.25 inches but velocity was down to 2850. I threw together a load of 57 grains of RL23 and my first two shots were .120 the third shot opened it up to 1 inch, the velocity was 3050. I found the barrel was touching right at the end of the stock. So I just got done opening it up. Gonna load up a stiffer load of Retumbo some h1000 and some more RL23. Probably try it out later this week

Give a try to IMR 7828 SSC (Super-Short Cut). I run it in my .25-06 AI and .30-06 AI with great results, and the smaller half-sized kernels allow me to run compressed load charges, without actually compressing the powder.

That being said, don't start out trying to run hot loads, work up slowly and safely. It just so happens that my particular rifles shoot their best at the upper ends of the pressure spectrum, but I'm very careful about it.

Give a try to IMR 7828 SSC (Super-Short Cut). I run it in my .25-06 AI and .30-06 AI with great results, and the smaller half-sized kernels allow me to run compressed load charges, without actually compressing the powder.

That being said, don't start out trying to run hot loads, work up slowly and safely. It just so happens that my particular rifles shoot their best at the upper ends of the pressure spectrum, but I'm very careful about it.
I usually work up .3-.5 at a time. But when I seen these slower speeds I figured I'd be good to go. Now that I'm approaching 3000 I will take my time working up to max

I usually work up .3-.5 at a time. But when I seen these slower speeds I figured I'd be good to go. Now that I'm approaching 3000 I will take my time working up to max

I should clarify a stiffer load. I meant working up a bit. Not a stiff as in hot load

Having a number of AI and other 'improved' cases, I suggest you look at 6.5-06 data, take the top 3 powders from several manuals and reduce the MAX load by 2% and work up in 1gr increments until you find excessive pressure. You may find you can go around 5gr more than this number, but not always.
I normally see ejector marks before primers are flattened due to the negative headspace and then reduce the charge by 1%.

Cheers.
:D

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.