6.5-270 (257) Wby Mag...What do I need?

Thanks for all the insight...if that is the case...How am I loading 70 to 78+grs in my 270 Wby cases...Where most of the loadings for the 264 Win are in the 55 to 60grs range ?

I also like the fact that the Wby cases have a steeper shoulder and a longer case neck. That longer case neck and steeper shoulder may keep some of the throat erosion in the case...

I also have a long mag box (3.7") so I can load the long 6.5 bullets...

I guess you haven't looked into the 264win mag very much. The case capacity of a 264win mag is about 82gr of h20 and a 270wby is 83gr of h2o. Can you say the same?

All the load data is very conservative for the 264win mag.

Why would anybody start with Wetherby brass to make .264 Win, especially with 7mm Remington so widely available and only a slight neck down?

Not everything we do is done for the logic of it. Some things we do is for the love of it.

Some have too much time on their hands!

You guys missed the point.

The point was, his comment about the powder in the loads of two different cartridges, the comment I quoted, that suggested there was ~ a 10 gr difference in the capacity of the two cases being discussed was a poor analogy.

.040 of neck length in a .257 neck is about .523 gr of water. Most or maybe all, I'm too lazy to calculate it, of that will be gotten back in the shoulder. So if there is any difference in the capacity it will be the mfg tolerance of the brass mfgs. If that difference is important to you, it can be eliminated by reforming the brass of preference.

Some have too much time on their hands!

And use it to do the things they we love to do.

When it's dark and we can't do those things and we have been in the shop or at the reloading bench too long. We come in the house and call BS on smart a$$es on the internet.:Dgun):Dgun)

longtooth i had one built a few years ago and i am still very happy with it . i called redding to order dies and they had a set of neck dies setting on the shelf and i just used a 7mm wby body dies that takes the neck bushing and just put in a different size bushing . it all has been very simple and necking down the 270 or 7mm brass or neck up the 257 brass is a simple prosses. i would highly recomend it and its only 130 fps behind the 6.5x 300s that i have loaded for

Thanks for your input...Do you think that I would have to turn the necks to thin them out if I resize the 270 Wby brass down to 6.5mm?

I guess you haven't looked into the 264win mag very much. The case capacity of a 264win mag is about 82gr of h20 and a 270wby is 83gr of h2o. Can you say the same?

All the load data is very conservative for the 264win mag.

I understand all this...however, I have a whole bunch of new 270Wby brass and I wanted to use that. Why would I want to fire form the brass when they both (264 win mag/270 Wby) have the same case capacity, and when I can just do a simple neck resize?

jfseaman has already found me a reamer and a no go/go gauge. Thank you jfs...

My Mausingfield long action has a barrel nut that I just want to spin...no real reason for it.

Frank in the Laurels...I do need to shoot more...I have worn out a Benchmark barrel screwed into a Mark V action...just ran out of COAL with the Mark V action. I was stuck at 3.4" COAL in the 270 Wby...

I have verified my drops on the 270 Wby @ 3225fps with the 170 Bergers out to 900+ yards.

Some "long" 270 Wby. All on reload #3.

On our left are the Matrix 165s (the M on the case). On our right are the 170 Bergers. All loaded with RL26...all pushing 3200+fps..

I have pushed 140 SSTs in the 270Wby to over 3630fps pushed by H1000 with little load development...and no pressure signs...It may be fun, to me, what I could push the 6.5mm 140s to...

All my velocities are measured with a Magnetospeed and a 28" barrel...

Always fun with something different...thanks everyone for your input...

Attachments

• 270 Wby.jpg
    270 Wby.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
I understand all this...however, I have a whole bunch of new 270Wby brass and I wanted to use that. Why would I want to fire form the brass when they both (264 win mag/270 Wby) have the same case capacity, and when I can just do a simple neck resize?

jfseaman has already found me a reamer and a no go/go gauge. Thank you jfs...

My Mausingfield long action has a barrel nut that I just want to spin...no real reason for it.

Frank in the Laurels...I do need to shoot more...I have worn out a Benchmark barrel screwed into a Mark V action...just ran out of COAL with the Mark V action. I was stuck at 3.4" COAL in the 270 Wby...

I have verified my drops on the 270 Wby @ 3225fps with the 170 Bergers out to 900+ yards.

Some "long" 270 Wby. All on reload #3.

On our left are the Matrix 165s (the M on the case). On our right are the 170 Bergers. All loaded with RL26...all pushing 3200+fps..

I have pushed 140 SSTs in the 270Wby to over 3630fps pushed by H1000 with little load development...and no pressure signs...It may be fun, to me, what I could push the 6.5mm 140s to...

All my velocities are measured with a Magnetospeed and a 28" barrel...

Always fun with something different...thanks everyone for your input...

I put together a 6.5x.257 WBY last year.
Started the project a year before Wby came out with 6.5-300.
My pockets weren't McWhorter deep.
Here is the build and cost outlay:

6.5x.257 Wby Vanguard Pkg. (Completed)
-Weatherby Vanguard .257 Wby donor rifle $470
-Pac-Nor Barrel- 6.5- .257 Wby Mag: 1 in 8.5" twist #5- 26" 310
Contoured & Polished Super-Match Grade Stainless Steel Blank
-Fitting and Chambering PAC-NOR Barrel to Your Action 300
(Includes Lapping and Truing of Action)
-Timney Trigger 117
-Bell and Carlson Medalist #6501, 290
Black with Gray Spiderweb (Accumark pattern)
Will accept barrel to 1.25 inches
-Nightforce Picatinny base 57
-Warne rings 35
-Bedrock Glass Bedding Kit 25

-Total $1609

It made a nice project!
I necked up .257 Wby brass.
Dies are: .300 Wby (which I already had) for full length,
HDY .260 neck size,
HDY.260 (long) seater.
.260 Rem seater will work, but very little of die is in press.
Since I'm still on a budget, I'll be sending a couple of cases and bullets to Lee to have them make a set of dies for me.
I'm looking to get 3200fps with 140g bullets.
Getting sub MOA using 7828 and Retumbo with Hornady bullets.
Will be chronographing later this month.

I understand that you already have the 270wby brass, Just sell it.

And build yourself a 264win mag its the same case capacity and you can get dies and brass cheaper. It will do what ever you want with out the hassle of going to the wildcat 6.5-257WBY case. This debate came up a few years ago when MCworther was chambering the new back then "6.5WBY" which they claimed was faster than the 264win mag which was proved wrong and it quickly faded away. I'm not knocking the 6.5-257WBY its a neat little round but I don't think its worth the price of the soft WBY brass.
but on the otherhand the 6.5/.257 chamber will last much longer than the Winchester due to the longer neck and better shoulder design. Barrels don't come cheap anymore.
gary

but on the otherhand the 6.5/.257 chamber will last much longer than the Winchester due to the longer neck and better shoulder design. Barrels don't come cheap anymore.
gary

This is along my way of thinking too...

Anyways...old thread...I bought a 6.5x284 pre-fit barrel to help me with shooting a 6.5mm.

I actually forgot about this thread...

And....I still have "lots" of 270 Wby brass. Good idea about the Pac-Nor 6.5-257 Wby barrel...

Thoughts about resizing the 270 Wby brass down to 6.5mm...Redding makes a Type S bushing die in a 7mm Wby (same exact case as the 270, 257 Wby). Is there any problem using a smaller bushing to neck the brass down to 6.5mm?

Thanks again for everyone's input...

This is along my way of thinking too...

Anyways...old thread...I bought a 6.5x284 pre-fit barrel to help me with shooting a 6.5mm.

I actually forgot about this thread...

And....I still have "lots" of 270 Wby brass. Good idea about the Pac-Nor 6.5-257 Wby barrel...

Thoughts about resizing the 270 Wby brass down to 6.5mm...Redding makes a Type S bushing die in a 7mm Wby (same exact case as the 270, 257 Wby). Is there any problem using a smaller bushing to neck the brass down to 6.5mm?

Thanks again for everyone's input...
Since then I think you're doing well with your 270 wby and 170gr pills!

Pac-Nor Custom Barrel
Base Price 325
Caliber6.5mm .264
Chamber6.5-257 Weatherby Magnum
Stainless Steel
Grade Super-Match
Twist 5 groove8 twist
Contour Medium Palma
A 1.23
B 0.925
C 0.8
D 5
E 7.5
G 28
Finished Length 26
Crown 11 Degree
Finish Bead Blasted
Fluting 6 flutes
Type Fitted and Chambered
Action Weatherby Mark V
Total Cost 750.00

After this thread got resurrected...I went to the Pac-Nor site and carted the same exact barrel except that it would be a Savage small shank pre-fit...with a threaded muzzle...

Thanks again for your input...

If this happens...think that I can get over 3400fps out of a 140gr...?

What are your thoughts using a bushing die to resize the 270 Wby brass to 6.5mm?

Thanks ...

Recent Posts