6.5-270 (257) Wby Mag...What do I need?

Longtooth32

Build is finished...

And it appears to smack a 26 Nosler and maybe a 264 Win Mag...:)

Last edited:
If you could get your hands on a 6.5/300 Wea barrel I think a good smith could cut the chamber end of the barrel and make it all fit to 270 Wea case dimensions, assuming you have a mag type action.

I was thinking about the 6.5mm craze even though I am happy with my 270 Wby @ 3225 fps with the Berger 170gr...

I have a barrel nut and a 3.7" mag box on my 270 Wby. Just spitballing here...I have a ton of 270 Wby brass...

How would I find the dies to neck down my 270 Wby brass to a 6.5mm? Will I need to thin down my necks after the resize?

Any place I can find reamers for this "thought" or do I need to make a cartridge with a seated long 6.5mm bullet and have someone make me a custom reamer?

I see that Pac-Nor makes a 257 Wby/6.5mm chamber...

Thanks for any help...

I see that Pac-Nor makes a 257 Wby/6.5mm chamber...

6.5mm/257 Weatherby is the same as 6.5mm/270 Weatherby.

Pac-Nor makes very fine barrels.
I have multiple.

There are 2 ways to go:
  1. Get a reamer made and get a barrel.
  2. Send the action to Pac-Nor.
If you go the get a reamer and barrel route, you have the option of "prefit" and "chambered". You will need the reamer and a 257 go/no-go gauge to finish fitting the barrel.

Not as much of a whipper snapper as the 26 Nosler or 6.5/300 Weatherby but I think it would be one heck of a round.

6.5mm/257 Weatherby is the same as 6.5mm/270 Weatherby.

Pac-Nor makes very fine barrels.
I have multiple.

There are 2 ways to go:
  1. Get a reamer made and get a barrel.
  2. Send the action to Pac-Nor.
If you go the get a reamer and barrel route, you have the option of "prefit" and "chambered". You will need the reamer and a 257 go/no-go gauge to finish fitting the barrel.

Not as much of a whipper snapper as the 26 Nosler or 6.5/300 Weatherby but I think it would be one heck of a round.

I hoped that you would chime in...Thank you...

So, it sounds like Pac-Nor can make me a barrel and a chamber...Where am I able to find some neck sizing dies...?

I "believe" that the 6.5/300 Wby is way overbore...but I think, why did Wby not do a 6.5 off the current 270/257 case...?

I hoped that you would chime in...Thank you...

So, it sounds like Pac-Nor can make me a barrel and a chamber...Where am I able to find some neck sizing dies...?

I "believe" that the 6.5/300 Wby is way overbore...but I think, why did Wby not do a 6.5 off the current 270/257 case...?

I'll address the 6.5/300 Weatherby first. It's very cool. I don't know if I'll every make one. Pretty much 26 Nosler for Weatherby lovers. I won't be making a 26 Nosler. They both definitely have the pep and can make short work of a barrel if you are not careful.

I would give Redding a call to see if the Type S 257 Weatherby or the Type S 270 Weatherby die would be better to use to make a 6.5.

Now the barrel+reamer challenge. Gunsmith. DIY. Send it to Pac-Nor. Other.

Not fair for me to say "If it were me" because I'm at the point I'm fitting and chambering barrels but If it work me. I'd get a prefit, reamer

If I take that away. Start figuring the costs between sending it to Pac-Nor and the wait vs. getting the reamer and taking the works to a gun smith. My smith was very inexpensive with this. Others not so much.

The PTG version of the reamer is PTG Chamber Reamer: 6.5mm x 257 Weatherby

When you call Pac-Nor ask them if they are using the PTG.

I went with a 3 groove 8 twist but a 5 would be rocking. I'm just fond of 3 groove. Seems to work for me and works for me when I shoot copper.

Pac-Nor Custom Barrel
Base Price 325
Caliber6.5mm .264
Chamber6.5-257 Weatherby Magnum
Stainless Steel
Grade Super-Match
Twist 5 groove8 twist
Contour Medium Palma
A 1.23
B 0.925
C 0.8
D 5
E 7.5
G 28
Finished Length 26
Crown 11 Degree
Finish Bead Blasted
Fluting 6 flutes
Type Fitted and Chambered
Action Weatherby Mark V
Total Cost 750.00

I understand that you already have the 270wby brass, Just sell it.

And build yourself a 264win mag its the same case capacity and you can get dies and brass cheaper. It will do what ever you want with out the hassle of going to the wildcat 6.5-257WBY case. This debate came up a few years ago when MCworther was chambering the new back then "6.5WBY" which they claimed was faster than the 264win mag which was proved wrong and it quickly faded away. I'm not knocking the 6.5-257WBY its a neat little round but I don't think its worth the price of the soft WBY brass.

I understand that you already have the 270wby brass, Just sell it.

And build yourself a 264win mag its the same case capacity and you can get dies and brass cheaper. It will do what ever you want with out the hassle of going to the wildcat 6.5-257WBY case. This debate came up a few years ago when MCworther was chambering the new back then "6.5WBY" which they claimed was faster than the 264win mag which was proved wrong and it quickly faded away. I'm not knocking the 6.5-257WBY its a neat little round but I don't think its worth the price of the soft WBY brass.

Thanks for all the insight...if that is the case...How am I loading 70 to 78+grs in my 270 Wby cases...Where most of the loadings for the 264 Win are in the 55 to 60grs range ?

I also like the fact that the Wby cases have a steeper shoulder and a longer case neck. That longer case neck and steeper shoulder may keep some of the throat erosion in the case...

I also have a long mag box (3.7") so I can load the long 6.5 bullets...

Last edited:
What makes you think brass fired in a 'factory' cut chamber will fit into a custom cut chamber? I've seen it and said it many times,,,, new custom chamber, new brass.

I would only use new brass. I have two Benchmark 270Wby barrels and I keep each barrel's brass/loadings separate.

longtooth i had one built a few years ago and i am still very happy with it . i called redding to order dies and they had a set of neck dies setting on the shelf and i just used a 7mm wby body dies that takes the neck bushing and just put in a different size bushing . it all has been very simple and necking down the 270 or 7mm brass or neck up the 257 brass is a simple prosses. i would highly recomend it and its only 130 fps behind the 6.5x 300s that i have loaded for

What do you need ? Your head examined !! Couldn't resist, sorry...there's nothing wrong with it, just like the millions of other combinations, but why drive yourself crazy when you could be out shooting your rifle rather than trying to find brass, doing all the work and the added expense for very little if any gain...pick an easy one, how bout a 6.5/06, s!ple, just as good and I'd bet way more accurate...life's too short to go nuts !

Thanks for all the insight...if that is the case...How am I loading 70 to 78+grs in my 270 Wby cases...Where most of the loadings for the 264 Win are in the 55 to 60grs range ?

I also like the fact that the Wby cases have a steeper shoulder and a longer case neck. That longer case neck and steeper shoulder may keep some of the throat erosion in the case...

I also have a long mag box (3.7") so I can load the long 6.5 bullets...

You do know that a 264 Winchester chamber, the case body part, is slightly longer than a 270 Weatherby? The Weatherby case neck is longer and may be an advantage or maybe not.

You can make 264 Winchester cases from 270 or 257 Weatherby cases. You would trim the neck length about .040", size the necks to a 6.5 size and fire form them in a 264 Winchester chamber.