6.5 150 Grain Sierra, 3350

weatherbee

I've been running the 143 Grain ELD-X at around3475-3500 FPS on my 6.5-300 Weatherby. 1/2" MOA, blueprinted 700, 28" Bartlein, TBAC Ultra 7 Suppressor.

I finally got my hands on some 150 GR Sierra Matchkings. Loaded them up and get same accuracy and 3350 FPS.

The BC on the 150's is .713 and SD is .303 I believe.

Y'all think I should stay with the 143 ELDX or switch to 150's?

This is strictly a hunting load/rifle

The 6.5mm 150 SMK @ 3117fps MV from my 6.5SS worked on Pronghorn for me....with authority. Shot was only at 183 yards, but that antelope dropped without a twitch. Exit was good, and the sound of that "whop" was impressive. The organs were not even Jell-O, they were liquified.

At your velocities, I would think the 150 SMK would hold together at least as well as the eld-x and probably be more consistent.

"SOME" results show it is performing pretty well, but I just got mine and have not loaded any. I doubt if I can run them faster than around 3150 +/- in my Sherman, when I get the 26" Bart 1:7.5 twist chambered.

The 6.5mm 150 SMK @ 3117fps MV from my 6.5SS worked on Pronghorn for me....with authority. Shot was only at 183 yards, but that antelope dropped without a twitch. Exit was good, and the sound of that "whop" was impressive. The organs were not even Jell-O, they were liquified.

That's what I'm looking for. Hoping to take a deer for meat purposes before end of season this weekend. Will send pictures if I do.

At your velocities, I would think the 150 SMK would hold together at least as well as the eld-x and probably be more consistent.

"SOME" results show it is performing pretty well, but I just got mine and have not loaded any. I doubt if I can run them faster than around 3150 +/- in my Sherman, when I get the 26" Bart 1:7.5 twist chambered.
So to you, is it a no brainer to run the 150 SMK's? After inputting into ballistic programs, the 150 surpasses the ELDX on energy at 300 yards (3039 FT LBS) but only catches the ELDX in velocity at 800 yards traveling at 2522 FPS at 800.

This leaves ft/lbs of energy at 1000 yards to be 1686, traveling 2304 FPS. I'm no expert, but prolly use it to kill Elk out to 1000 with it

If anyone reading this has any expert advice on SD etc or which projectile to go with, please feel free to chime in.

I don't think the 143 will hold up to those velocities from my experience as they are not holding up to my Creedmoor velocity. Ive quit them and going back to berger or accubond

I don't think the 143 will hold up to those velocities from my experience as they are not holding up to my Creedmoor velocity. Ive quit them and going back to berger or accubond
you may be right.

I have shot my steel targets out to 800 Yds with it (10.5 MOA elevation adjustment on my ATACR) the ELDX made about an 1/8th" indention on the steel at 800 yards if that helps for bullet staying together purposes

I shot a whitetail this year with 143 with MV of 2643 at 250ish high shoulder and it completely came apart and separated. cup and core

My 6.5-300 WBY has a 1:8.5 twist. Sierra says it needs a 1:7.5 to stabilize. I don't know if it's because of barrel length, velocity, suppressor or all of the above, but it consistently shoots 1/2" groups. Maybe even better if I would shoot it out of a vise. This is just with bipod and rear bag

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.