6.5 140 grain Berger vld vs 156 grain eol

laker

Been a couple years since I've owned a 6.5 caliber but I'm back with one this year. We have killed a pile of critters with the 140 grain Berger vld hunting and only a handful with the 156 grain Berger. Everything from coyotes to elk. It seemed to us that the 140 grain Berger vld hunting seemed to have better on game performance for us at 6.5-06 speeds than the 156 did. Seemed the 140 did more damage and still exited where the 156 was good for a golf ball sized exit but not near the internal damage from 50-600 yards. Anyone else seeing same results or was it just more of a sample size for the 140 compared to the 156?

I think unless you can push that 156 up over 2800fps then you are likely better off staying with the 140's. Especially for anything under a 6.5prc/6.5-284 size case. Not enough speed to beat the ballistics of yhe lighter bullet, and likely not enough speed for it to perform well on game. Or at least not perform up to its potential.
Bigger 6.5 like a ss, 6.5wsm, 26N and the 156 makes sense.

I think unless you can push that 156 up over 2800fps then you are likely better off staying with the 140's. Especially for anything under a 6.5prc/6.5-284 size case. Not enough speed to beat the ballistics of yhe lighter bullet, and likely not enough speed for it to perform well on game. Or at least not perform up to its potential.
Bigger 6.5 like a ss, 6.5wsm, 26N and the 156 makes sense.
I don't have experience with thee 156 but LongBomber is correct, at least this pattern is showing up in several forums. I have seen where several using the CM did not get good long range terminal results with the 156.

I think the difference your seeing has more to do with the elite hunter vs VLD style. I've used both in various calibers and weights and the elite Line seems to not fragment as violent as the VLD. I don't think I have ever had a VLD pass through but I have a lot with the elites. Both have been great bullets for me, but I like the elites the best.

So use the 140 elites and compromise!!

Laker,
156 has been outstanding for us in the SAUM case on elk and deer. Near and far! I'd make the choice on which case you decide to build on - both have been outstanding for our freezers :)
Already have a 6.5 prc I'm running so I'm set on case

I shoot both the Berger 140HVLD and the Berger 156EOL and in my 6.5x284's. Running velocities of 2990 and 2950 respectively, the trajectories and wind drift are near identical to 1000 yards, the energy out to the same yardage runs 20% higher with the 156(1000 yards/1200FPE).
IMO, either bullet makes for a very effective 1000 yard medium game cartridge run at the aforementioned velocities.

Been a couple years since I've owned a 6.5 caliber but I'm back with one this year. We have killed a pile of critters with the 140 grain Berger vld hunting and only a handful with the 156 grain Berger. Everything from coyotes to elk. It seemed to us that the 140 grain Berger vld hunting seemed to have better on game performance for us at 6.5-06 speeds than the 156 did. Seemed the 140 did more damage and still exited where the 156 was good for a golf ball sized exit but not near the internal damage from 50-600 yards. Anyone else seeing same results or was it just more of a sample size for the 140 compared to the 156?
The damaging result could be attributed to the deeper cavity depth of the 140 has over the 156.

My sample size and experience is surely much higher with the 140's over the 156's, but my experiences with performance on game and the expansion characteristics of the 156's are similar to yours. I have personally stuck with the 140 HVLD(and JLK VLD's which perform similarly) on medium game to 1000 yards with excellent results on deer at this range and to 1200 with antelope. IMO, the 156's, with the greater sectional density), would likely be my choice in the +2950FPS range if larger game(elk) were on the plate, or for use on the big bodied Canadian deer at the longer distances.

The damaging result could be attributed to the deeper cavity depth of the 140 has over the 156.
In my opinion and looks like most others. The 140 is so deadly that it's hard to get away from them, but we've killed 40 plus with 156s which includes whitetail, Muley, black bear and elk. from a 100 yards to 1100 they are deadly. I have sent pics to James at Barbour creek shooting school of the wound channels. 156s are killers, We have had a few passed all the way but it still looks like a bomb went off inside. I still load both but either are poison. Up to you.

Can't speak to the 156 but 140s have been lethal for me. If you can drop one in the chest cavity from any angle that critter is going nowhere. I'm so impressed the last few seasons I have no inclination to try anything else.

I shoot the 140gr bergers in my 6.5 SAUM and the 156's in my 264 win mag. I'd agree with several guys that have posted in here about the speed threshold - if you're over 3,000 fps at the muzzle with the 156's I'd go that route. If not, stick with the 140's or even 130gr OTM's. In my 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 Rem I shoot the 130's at 2,600-2,850 fps and they kill impressively on deer sized animals.

The 156 in my 264 win mag at 3,125 fps is the single most lethal bullet I've personally shot at deer, coyotes and big hogs. With the 140gr hybrids and elite hunters in another rifle with the same speed, I had whitetail, hogs and coyotes running still after the shot. With the 156's, I haven't had anything take a step yet - they're almost shockingly effective on game in my experience.

I hunt in South Texas a lot and there's big hogs everywhere - last Thanksgiving I shot 5 hogs in the 150-250lb range with the 156's and not 1 took a step. They were mostly shot through the shoulders, lungs but a few were shot moving and they just crumpled.

I'm sold on the 156's above 3,000 fps.