6.5-06ish recommendations?

Josh Amerine

I have a Nesika action at a gunsmith's being built into a 6.5-06. The stock is the MacMillan McClassic and the barrel is a Krieger #4 in 8 twist (I think that is what we decided on). I was going to have him build it in 6.5-06 and 25". Now after having read around here for a while I am having second thoughts. Anyone have a suggestion for a neat rifle? I think the barrel can go as long as 26 1/2" and I am sure he could chamber to the 6.5 Ackley if I wanted. Would it be better?

I will probably just use it here on Texas whitetails, but I might drag it elk or mule deer hunting. I am probably not going to stretch the range too far, but I might piddle with it on the range.

Thanks for the input,

T Sharps

T Sharps, it`s really according to the velocity you`re wanting to achieve and whether or not you`re wanting to fireform your brass.If another 150 fps in velocity or more is wanted, and fireforming is not a problem, then the 6.5 Gibbs(improved 6.5-06 with 35 degree shoulder) would be a great choice. Then again, the Ackley may not be a bad choice either with only maybe a couple grains of powder falling short of the Gibbs.
Your choice of parts should work just fine. The 1 in 8 twist will work great for 120 - 140 gr. bullets, especially the 140`s.
I have a 6.5 Gibbs that was rechambered from the 6.5-06 and love it for the added velocity and less case stretch.
Warren

Dear Warren:
In truth, I probably don't need the extra velocity. I was actually more interested in any gains in case life or loading ease. I have a friend with a 250 AI that he really likes for the lack of case stretch.

Any other reason to go with the Ackley other than velocity? What would you recommend for barrel length?

I will probably scope it with a Schmidt and Bender 4x36. I hate variables and am pretty comfortable with the fixed.

Thanks,

T Sharps

T Sharps

I would stay with the 6.5/06 and the 8 twist barrel using 140 gr bullets especially since your only going to a 26" barrel and a 4x scope.

The 6.5/06 is a fine cartridge and so is the Gibbs but, fireforming is envolved in the Gibbs or Ackley.

You will be surprised as to what you can do with the straight 6.5/06.

later
DC

T Sharps,
1) I`m gonna say that comparing the two cartridges shooting at the same velocity, the Ackley brass would definitely last longer as far as case life goes.
2) As far as loading ease, the 6.5-06 may be a little easier, but once the brass is fireformed for the Ackley there shouldn`t be that much difference between the two with my limited knowledge of the improved version.
3) As already mentioned, there`s less stretch with the improved.
4) On barrel length, you have already chosen my choice of length at 26 inches on a light tote about rifle. Some on here may go longer, but I wouldn`t go any shorter.
Take care, Warren.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts