6.5-06 vs. 6.5-284 for long range work?

rifletuner

In rifles of equal quality, the 6.5-06 will shoot as accurately and as well as a 6.5/284. The 6.5/284 has the advantage of being a more modern case design, which will require less full length sizing and trimming, generate less bolt thrust, etc. Ease of case availability is not normally a major issue in making a chambering decision for a long range precision rifle, though case quality (eg Lapua, RWS, etc.) usually is a deciding factor.

Fergus

I agree with your first response. True, the whole short, fat case design is the current rage and I do believe there is some truth in it. In theory, that would give a slight advantage to the 284 case. Whether or not you would see this is questionable. They are both capable of superb accuracy. Quality brass is readily available for both cartridges and they are very close in power.
I am die hard 6.5 man and like both of these calibers very much.

I beive good quality bullets, which the 6.5 finally has, has more to do with the success of both of these cases (also the 6.5/06 Improved cases) than case design, case design might make it a bit easier, and quality brass is available for both. Both of these case designs have been around a long time. If Hoyer would have lived into the 1990s (instead of 1971), the 6.5 would have had good bullets for the last 30 years.

Dan

Thanks for the replies.
It does seem the 6.5's have come into their own, and they definitely have a good selection of bullets. This is a tough decision because it sounds like both cartridges are excellent performers. I am afraid to even mention the 6.5-06 improved. The decision is already tough enough the way it is.

If good quality brass was available (I guess it is now) for the 300 WSM in the future the 6.5/300 WSM might be the way to go. I just put more wood in the fire to screw your head up worse.

Dan

It seems that more benchresters favor the 6.5-284, but I would think brass would be easier to get for the 06 case.

What are the pro's and cons of either case? Is there a noticeable "inherent accuracy" difference between these two cartridges?

Thanks in advance,

-Wolverine

I'm new here so forgive me if it is "understood" that you all read Precision Shooting, but there was a good article about this very question in either last months or this months issue. I don't subscribe to the magazine, but a friend of mine does!!

You should check it out!

One of you all may have written for that matter:)

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.