6.5-06 Using Reloder 22

You didn't say your barrel length? back when R-22 was new everyone was trying it. 7828 with a few grain more charge had slightly higher FPS, less pressure, and low ES. Now we have all gone to R-25 and R-26.

As to your r-22 ? If you are not seeing pressure. Try the same gr weight and use magnum primers. that is almost like adding 1.5 grains of powder because of a quicker burn

I had started out using Hybrid 100V but I'm getting quite a bit above max published load data and not getting where I wanted to be. At almost 2 grains over max, I'm still not to 3100FPS, even though I'm not showing any signs of pressure...need ejector Mark's not sticky bolt.

So I picked up a 5lb jug of R-22 to give it a go. So far I'm a little over max Nosler data but not much without any pressure signs...looking like I'm within a couple 10ths of the next noid but still shooting pretty decent.

View attachment 180937
This target was shot at 500 yards yesterday with a mirage so bad that it looked more like a flag than a target. So I didn't even bother with a 5th shot. Kind of wish I had...of course you couldn't see the holes in the paper in those conditions, so I didn't know until I walked down to pull the target.

The wind was acting a bit crazy too! At the bench the surveyor tape was showing the wind at 4 o'clock, basically coming over my right shoulder, but the surveyor tape at the target was from 9 o'clock...I'm guessing is was bouncing off the 400 yard berm.

With 53.7gr of R-22 I'm pushing Nosler 130gr RDF at 3050fps average the SD 15 and SD 25 (IIRC)...it looks like I might get closer to 3100fps and the next noid before I see pressure signs. Normal disclosure on working your way up to my results.

Anyone found the magic recipe to break the 3100fps mark with R-22?
Wow..
I had started out using Hybrid 100V but I'm getting quite a bit above max published load data and not getting where I wanted to be. At almost 2 grains over max, I'm still not to 3100FPS, even though I'm not showing any signs of pressure...need ejector Mark's not sticky bolt.

So I picked up a 5lb jug of R-22 to give it a go. So far I'm a little over max Nosler data but not much without any pressure signs...looking like I'm within a couple 10ths of the next noid but still shooting pretty decent.

View attachment 180937
This target was shot at 500 yards yesterday with a mirage so bad that it looked more like a flag than a target. So I didn't even bother with a 5th shot. Kind of wish I had...of course you couldn't see the holes in the paper in those conditions, so I didn't know until I walked down to pull the target.

The wind was acting a bit crazy too! At the bench the surveyor tape was showing the wind at 4 o'clock, basically coming over my right shoulder, but the surveyor tape at the target was from 9 o'clock...I'm guessing is was bouncing off the 400 yard berm.

With 53.7gr of R-22 I'm pushing Nosler 130gr RDF at 3050fps average the SD 15 and SD 25 (IIRC)...it looks like I might get closer to 3100fps and the next noid before I see pressure signs. Normal disclosure on working your way up to my results.

Anyone found the magic recipe to break the 3100fps mark with R-22?
Hell back in 1973 Reuben Hays was getting 3200 fps running 130 gr Hornady spire points with 53.9 grains of 4320 in a 270 Winchester

Wow..

Hell back in 1973 Reuben Hays was getting 3200 fps running 130 gr Hornady spire points with 53.9 grains of 4320 in a 270 Winchester

270 doesn't have much to do with 6.5/06 posted, but being a lifetime 270 person and a reloader I had to check my BS meter. So I got out my old reloading books which used heavier loads than modern lawyer friendly load tables. and with a sierra 130 gr it maxes at 49.3 gr for 3000 fps out of common 22 inch barrel.

4320 is really fast powder without the ability to achieve higher velocity out of mid to heavy weight bullets. So BS to Mr. Hays! I was reloading in 73 and other than the big boys I don't ever remember anybody that owned a chronograph. Later on when I did get a chronograph I found that reloading books were printing highly optimistic FPS. Like BS to sell some manufacturers powder who paid for the testing

Last edited:
270 doesn't have much to do with 6.5/06 posted, but being a lifetime 270 person and a reloader I had to check my BS meter. So I got out my old reloading books which used heavier loads than modern lawyer friendly load tables. and with a sierra 139 gr it maxes at 49.3 gr for 3000 fps out of common 22 inch barrel.

4320 is really fast powder without the ability to achieve higher velocity out of mid to heavy weight bullets. So BS to Mr. Hays! I was reloading in 73 and other than the big boys I don't ever remember anybody that owned a chronograph. Later on when I did get a chronograph I found that reloading books were printing highly optimistic FPS. Like BS to sell some manufacturers powder who paid for the testing
Joyce Hornady published the data in his reloading handbook..1973 vol 2

IMG_20200312_134640358.jpg

270 doesn't have much to do with 6.5/06 posted, but being a lifetime 270 person and a reloader I had to check my BS meter. So I got out my old reloading books which used heavier loads than modern lawyer friendly load tables. and with a sierra 139 gr it maxes at 49.3 gr for 3000 fps out of common 22 inch barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_20200312_143945952.jpg
    IMG_20200312_143945952.jpg
    725.2 KB · Views: 45
Seems like Reuben Hays loaded a little heavier..this is out of a Hornady handloading guide..

Well drug my 6.5-06 out today & tried some loads with Hornady 129 gr bonded & Rel 22. My barrel is a very accurate E. R. Shaw 24" stainless, 1/8 twist. Standard A-Square chamber , no special throating. Using CCI # 200 LR primers worked up to 56grs of Rel 22 for 3112 fps in "my" rifle. Not the slightest sign of excessive pressure. Using a once fired case that I fired four times, the primer pocket stayed very snug. As I said in "my" rifle. Could not help firing it at my 522 yd target & got back a vert satisfying thunk. Works for me. I love the 6.5 as history has shown I am keeping good company with the many others who have for 120 + years.

I have an old school M700 custom 6.5-06 with a 25" barrel. It has a good bit of free bore with 130 VLDH approx. .110 with bullets seated with .264 grip.

RL 22 has been pretty darn good accuracy wise at 51 grains. I'm going to work up to 53. H1000 has been good as well but not quite as accurate as RL22. I worked up to 56 grains with no pressure I will work up to 58 g of H1000 in .5 grain increments and see if accuracy improves.

I would like to try RL 23 as I here the temperature sensitivity is better but I'm confused here with the posts about 6.5 Sherman. Bill C assume your shooting 6.5 Sherman as I cant load a 130 to 2.414 CBTO.

Anybody have a good starting point for 130 grain VLDH in 6.5-06 with Lapua 30-06 cases necked down with a capacity of approx. 62 grains of water? I'm using WLR primers but am open to trying others.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

I have an old school M700 custom 6.5-06 with a 25" barrel. It has a good bit of free bore with 130 VLDH approx. .110 with bullets seated with .264 grip.

RL 22 has been pretty darn good accuracy wise at 51 grains. I'm going to work up to 53. H1000 has been good as well but not quite as accurate as RL22. I worked up to 56 grains with no pressure I will work up to 58 g of H1000 in .5 grain increments and see if accuracy improves.

I would like to try RL 23 as I here the temperature sensitivity is better but I'm confused here with the posts about 6.5 Sherman. Bill C assume your shooting 6.5 Sherman as I cant load a 130 to 2.414 CBTO.

Anybody have a good starting point for 130 grain VLDH in 6.5-06 with Lapua 30-06 cases necked down with a capacity of approx. 62 grains of water? I'm using WLR primers but am open to trying others.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all
I run 44.1 grains of 4064 with 129 gr spire points in my 6.5 Remington magnum..it kicked it out at around 2900 fps..that's a top load for my Remington due to case capacity and seating the longer bullets in it's short neck..

I run 44.1 grains of 4064 with 129 gr spire points in my 6.5 Remington magnum..it kicked it out at around 2900 fps..that's a top load for my Remington due to case capacity and seating the longer bullets in it's short neck..
The 6.5/06 should be able to put out much better results due to powder capacity

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.