6.5-06 Speeds

Greywolf18

I am looking into building a 6.5-06 for deer/med game. I was debating between 130ish to 140ish bullets. Just wondering what kind of speeds people are getting out of there 6.5-06's and what bullets they are using. I'm thinking a 26" heavy barrel for mine because I don't mind walking around with a heavier rifle. Thanks for the input!

The standard 6.5-06 will get around 2850 to 2875 fps on average for a 26" barrel with a 142 gr SMK. That is with comfortable working pressures. Some may be a bit faster, some a bit slower.

The 6.5-06 AI will get you 2950 to 2975 on average with same bullet weight. Again, some will certainly break 3000 fps but I am talking on average and with good case life.

Certainly both are great chamberings for your usage goals.

I had a 6.5-06 built for my son last year. It is running the 130 Scirocco @ 2950fps. I ran it up higher with no problems, but the recoil got a little stiffer so I backed it down a little. 3100fps seemed fine, but I did not shoot many so I don't know for sure how hard on the case it was.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.