6.5-06 or 270 wsm?

Greywolf18

So have been loooking for a new deer rifle for awhile now. I am now torn between one of 2 ways to go. Thus, I would like some opinions/advice from all you experts out there. I will be using this rifle for shots out to probably 400-500 yards MAX, with most shots being 100-200 yards in NC and VA. I want a heavier barrel and don't mind humping around the extra couple of pounds since I am not going sheep hunting or anything like that......not yet anyways :rolleyes:. My two options are:

1) I have a model 70 30-06 that needs to be rebarreled and was thinking of turning it into a 6.5-06. I'm thinking around 26" probably around a sendero weight.

2) Buy one of the new model 70 coyote lite in 270 wsm. This has a med-hvy barrel that is 24".

Is there a huge difference in trajectory? I do reload so I don't have to worry about finding 6.5-06 ammo. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

My dad has the same issue you have with his Model 70 30-06. I think in the ranges your looking at it is a toss up, I love my 270 WSM with 140 Bergers you have to push the 6.5 over 3100fps to get what I'm getting out of my WSM out to 1000yrds. The one advantage I see in the 270WSM is the ability to push heavier bullets, I would suggest shooting Accubonds up close with it on deer. I would say that the 270WSM I have is the best game killing machine I have owned to date, elk, deer, antalope, all die very well.
I am interested if the 6.5-284 Norma that Savage is chambering in the Longrange Hunter Series, my wife may have a new gun next year :D

I went the 6.5-06 route, I like how easy it is to do cases, and feeds well.

Here is a pic, I did the Cerakote on it too...

Hunting2009JordanMontana032.jpg

Rather than a 6.5-06, why not get something a bit different and do a 6.5x64?

You just get the good 7x64 Norma brass or any .270 brass, neck it down, load up and shoot.

Less working of the brass in the neck than necking down a 30-06 to fit 6.5mm bullets. Just as easy as the 6.5-06 to load for and maybe a tad more powder capacity?

Mauser, who did yours? It's a fine looking rifle! What are your loads and how are they shooting?

Topshot, ive never heard of a 6.5x64. How does it compare to the 6.5-06?

Thanks for all the input guys keep it coming!

Mauser, who did yours? It's a fine looking rifle! What are your loads and how are they shooting?

Topshot, ive never heard of a 6.5x64. How does it compare to the 6.5-06?

Thanks for all the input guys keep it coming!

It is very simlilar. Only a bit longer with a bit more powder room depending on the shoulder angle chosen and you don't have to size down so far as you would with the 30-06.

Oh yeh,
There is also the 6.5x68 from RWS. Sort of like a rebated magnum.

Last edited:
6.5-06. I use 25-06 cases, run them through the fl sizer and I am done. Aside from the normal brass prep. I built my son's 6.5 on the same action as you are talking about. McGowen precision barrels did the re-barrel. Rifle shoots very well. Should be able to run 130g bullets up to 3100 on the high end. Great bc's and sectional density. It has been a much better big game cartridge than I ever expected. I run the 130g Scirroccos's.

Good luck

Steve

Thanks,

A gunsmith friend had the reamer, so I let him do the chamber for me, and it sure doesn't hurt that he had the lathe too. Besides, he is such an excellent smith, I could have not done it better..

Any way, I assembled the rifle, and did all the Cerakote. It is Federal Brown, and Coyote Tan.. The barrel is a Douglas, and finished 23.5ish long, and was, would you believe, a left over from a job years ago, new un-chambered.. Picked up for about $150, SMOKEN DEAL....
The original wood stock fit me so well, in fact the only reason I purchased the rifle years ago. It was a Ted williams, model 53, till the dog used the but stock as a chew toy.. It worked out good though, the dog only chewed one inch of the wood.. Replaced the chew section with a recoil pad. Not that it needed it, but it does look better with out the gnaw marks.
Any way, I Cerakoted the wood, and I really like it ALOT..

As far as load development goes, I actually was not planning on using it this year for hunting, had been working on a 260, but was having issues with what I believe, the scope. The only thing left on the 6.5-06 was the recoil pad, so I jumped back to it for my mule deer hunt. I used a not at max load of Reloader 22, and headed for the range.. Off sticks it was giving me .5 at 100, so I went hunting. I intend to do some more development on it this winter, as time an money allow.. I will be putting it on a chrono too.
One thing I did find out in the field, it shoots way flatter than the BDC retical settings. Will be working on that as well..

This wild cat is one of the easiest I have done to date.. I run 270 brass through a 25-06 die, trim, neck up using my 260 die, and its done. The 25-06 brass would eliminate one step, but.... My daughter has a 25-06, and it it hard to see the difference at a glance. Do not want any oops.. And we do not own a 270, and the biggest plus is the fact that 270 brass is so plentiful..

If you would like, I could build you one, or do the Cerakote for you. I do have an FFL for such a things..

Thanks for all the replies! I think I may just go with the 6.5-06 after most of you said it is the way to go. I'm thinking 130g Accubonds. Now I just need to start saving a little more because it's going to be needing a new stock to fit the heavier barrel and then of course off to the custom shop.

For all of you that have one, did anyone bother putting a break on it or is it mild enough to not need one?

rockymtnmt-

what kind of stock did you use on yours?

Thanks for all the replies! I think I may just go with the 6.5-06 after most of you said it is the way to go. I'm thinking 130g Accubonds. Now I just need to start saving a little more because it's going to be needing a new stock to fit the heavier barrel and then of course off to the custom shop.

For all of you that have one, did anyone bother putting a break on it or is it mild enough to not need one?

rockymtnmt-

what kind of stock did you use on yours?

I put it back in the old factory Winchester stock. Put it in the chop saw and cut the butt off, and put on a Simms recoil pad. Had to get it short enough for the 12 yr old boy. When he gets big enough then we will get him a custom stock and a detachable mag box. That way we can load them out to the lans.

As far as recoil, it is very manageable. For my boy, shooting 130g Scirroccos, I kept it under 3000fps. Over 3000fps the recoil got a little sharper. He is a little bigger now, so I may redo the load development and take it back up to about 3100fps. It is running 2950fps now.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts