6.5-06 load info

Actually looking for something to correlate my 270 to.

The hornady load with H1000 extrapolated to 58 grains and adding 3% for the extra 3 inches of barrel length is a dead ringer for my 270 with the Matrix VLD.

The Lyman book says I can put 60 grains of H1000 behind a Nosler 160 but I start seeing pressure on the primer at 58 grains. I was pushing 2940 fps with 58.5 grains. Backed off to 57.5 and 2850

So,

Is there a Matrix VLD that is 160g? If so, does your rifle have a fast enough twist to shoot these bullets?

I only ask cause I had a 6.5-06 AI that had a 1-9" twist that couldn't accurately shoot anything over 129grs. My father owns it now and it is a wonderful rifle and works for him.

Why are you wanting to match it up with the .270? Even if you extrapolated data and got the same MV you couldn't compare as a VLD 6.5 cal bullet has a higher BC than anything out there for the .270. Apples to oranges I guess.

Just trying to understand and help you find your info.

Dan

If you are refering to the .270, that would certainly work with the 165g bullets.

If it is the 6.5-06, I don't think that bullet weight would work, and I have looked at the Matrix bullets and it seems that they don't offer a VLD bullet in a 6.5 cal.

just looking for clarification...

Dan

What's wrong with using the starting load for the .270 and 160g bullets and working up? Or am I just missing something??? YMMV

Yes 270.

I am currious tho, why would I start seeing pressure signs with flat primers 2 grains under recomended max load?

Are CCI BR2 primers lighter in construction than standard primers?

I know that they are similar cartridges, but you just can't use data from one bore diamater to a smaller one even though the case capacity of the cartridges are almost identical. This is because they have diffrent bore diameters and because of expansion ratios to bore diamater, you'll end up with higher pressures in a smaller bore than a larger bore using the same case. This is why diffrent powders need to be used for diffrent cartridges using the same case. A good yet extreme example is the .458 Win mag Vs the .264 Win mag Same case but due to powder expansion you need a faster powder like 4895 for a .458 vs a slow powder for the .264 like Retumbo.

I know that they (a 6.5-06 and a .270 Win) are close and some powders can be used interchangeably from similar bore diameters, but it is actually safer to work up a bullet using data from the same cartridge and a bullet similar in weight. Pressures are also diffrent depending on the length of the bearing surface of the bullet and this also is another reason for using a powder with a slower burn rate for a smaller diameter cartridge.

I guess what I'm really getting at is that trying to make a cartridge act like another and get the same results as the one you want to copy is virtually impossible. Each one has to be addressed diffrently. There are ways to do it, but I certainly don't reccommend it.

Also, even though (lets say) you have two bullets one for a .264 cal and one for a .270 cal with identical BCs and you load them to the same muzzle velocity, they won't fly the same way at long range. The heavier one will retain it's velocity longer than the lighter one resulting in a diffrent trajectory over all.

Hope this is helpful.

Dan

Yes 270.

I am currious tho, why would I start seeing pressure signs with flat primers 2 grains under recomended max load?

Are CCI BR2 primers lighter in construction than standard primers?

This has to do with the bearing surface of the bullet you're using being longer than the bullet that the data came from, also can be from the Metalurgical properties fo the jacket being diffrent and your brass might be thicker too.

Just some thoughts.......

The BR-2 primers are constructed just like CCI-200 primers, they are just made more consistantly than the 200s. I love them and use them in my .30-06 AI.

Dan

If you are refering to the .270, that would certainly work with the 165g bullets.

If it is the 6.5-06, I don't think that bullet weight would work, and I have looked at the Matrix bullets and it seems that they don't offer a VLD bullet in a 6.5 cal.

just looking for clarification...

Dan

Matrix has a few bullets not listed on the site, so best to give Marshall a call/email.
I'm currently using a 142gr VLD in my 6.5-06 with excellent reults (on paper) so far. RL25 seems to be the best powder I've tried to date.
Also trying out some of his new VLD's in my 300 Win Mag, 168, 185 and 210's. Haven't done much with the 168's and 210's yet, but the 185's are showing some promise.

Matrix has a few bullets not listed on the site, so best to give Marshall a call/email.
I'm currently using a 142gr VLD in my 6.5-06 with excellent reults (on paper) so far. RL25 seems to be the best powder I've tried to date.
Also trying out some of his new VLD's in my 300 Win Mag, 168, 185 and 210's. Haven't done much with the 168's and 210's yet, but the 185's are showing some promise.

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. I want to build a diffrent 6.5-06 AI with a faster bbl than the one I had previously. This looks promising. I used RL22 and got awesome accuracy with 129g Hornadys, But had pressure spikes on hot days. RL-25 would be a better fix.

Thanks,

Dan

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. I want to build a diffrent 6.5-06 AI with a faster bbl than the one I had previously. This looks promising. I used RL22 and got awesome accuracy with 129g Hornadys, But had pressure spikes on hot days. RL-25 would be a better fix.

Thanks,

Dan

Just curious what twist you are looking at. My 6.5-06 is 1:8.5, shoots 140 Accubonds and the 142 Matrix incredibly well if I do my part.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.