6.5-06 help

deathwobble

Anyone have ever ran into any problems when necking down 30-06 brass to 6.5-06 with redding s dies. When I set up the bullet seating die I cannot set it up to touch the shell plate because when I seat the bullet the shoulder area of my brass comes onto contact with the die causing a ripple on the shoulder which is screwing with the head spacing and not allowing the bolt to close.
I also ran the expander plug several times though the brass to get rid of the small lump on the inside of brass near the mouth shoulder area that you get when necking down. so thats not the issue. The only thing that seems to remedy this is to set the die up to not contact the shell plate. Anyone ever had an issue like this? Its driving me crazy

Set up:
Action: Rem 700LA ss Blueprinted and Trued
Barrel: 26" Brux #17 heavy varmit w/Scorehigh tac muzzle break
Caliber: 6.5-06, .294 neck
Stock: B-C A3 w/glass bed job and wyatts BDM
Glass: Vortex RazorHD ebr 2b

Anyone have ever ran into any problems when necking down 30-06 brass to 6.5-06 with redding s dies. When I set up the bullet seating die I cannot set it up to touch the shell plate because when I seat the bullet the shoulder area of my brass comes onto contact with the die causing a ripple on the shoulder which is screwing with the head spacing and not allowing the bolt to close.
I also ran the expander plug several times though the brass to get rid of the small lump on the inside of brass near the mouth shoulder area that you get when necking down. so thats not the issue. The only thing that seems to remedy this is to set the die up to not contact the shell plate. Anyone ever had an issue like this? Its driving me crazy

Set up:
Action: Rem 700LA ss Blueprinted and Trued
Barrel: 26" Brux #17 heavy varmit w/Scorehigh tac muzzle break
Caliber: 6.5-06, .294 neck
Stock: B-C A3 w/glass bed job and wyatts BDM
Glass: Vortex RazorHD ebr 2b

I always use 25-06 brass and neck up.
I'm not sure I follow you here but I never have the shell holder touch the seating die on any cartridge I load for. I may have misunderstood your description though.

I use a forester ultra seater die with Berger vld's and it works great.
H1000 works well with the 140's

I think I hear your problem. If I'm right, you're setting your die up wrong. The bullet seating die doesn't contact the shell holder in dies that have a crimp setting built in. To adjust your die properly:
Back the die body and the seating plug nearly all the way out.
Place a piece of sized brass, a loaded round at the appropriate length is best; but you may not have one, in the shell holder.
Raise the ram to the top of the stroke.
Screw the die body down until it makes contact, internally, with the case mouth.
Now back it out 1/4th turn or whatever amount you think is necessary to maintain a safe distance from the crimping bevel.
Set your die body lock ring at this point.
Now play with your depth to get it right. If you used loaded ammo simply screw the seating plug down until it makes thorough contact.

This should solve this problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.