6.5-06 build but to AI it or Gibbs it or leave it like it is?

Given you will have to reload your choices are 6.5-06, the AI, 6.5 Sherman, and 6.5 Gibbs. The last two have the largest capacity and will give the most velocity. The AI is about midway between the 06 parent and the Shermeb/Gibbs. The cost of the dies and reamer might be the deciding factor. All should give your minimum and the fast two well beyond. Personally I would probably choose the AI or Sherman and start with the best .270 Win brass I could get.

I'll second that, even though the AI has factory brass available, I would lean toward the Sherman. It has a longer neck than the Gibbs, and there is more loading data available with the newer powders & bullets. People make a fuss about fire-forming these case designs, but it's no big deal. When 270 brass is partially neck-sized to a crush fit, headspace will be just the way you like it. ( I would go with Norma brass - have had good results with it in other AI cartridges in the past.)

For more speed yet go to rl26 it has ground up unicorn dust and pixie dust and dried fairy tears and Elvis makes it in jamaca.
Shep
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Thanks for the laugh. My wife just gave me a strange look and asked "what are you laughing at??" I'm sure RL26 is probably a cure for covid, too!!

I have 6.5 x06 and 6.5x284 I have been reloading 50 years and first Hodgdon's manual was #21 they listed H4831 at 57gr I load H4831 sc at 56.5 shoots great at 3000fps 140amx or Nosler

Regarding the brass for 6.5-06, I have used 25-06, 270 and also lapua 30-06. The 30-06 was by far the most work. The 25-06 tended to form a donut from necking up. Overall 270 seems to be best. one more thing, I've gotten exceptional velocity from N560 with 123ttsx and 130 swift scirocco.

Why not start with .25-06 brass whether you choose the 6.5-06 or the AI? I have a 6.5-06AI on the way and the smith said that it chambers a factory .25-06 round with a smidgen of resistance so that would eliminate any game playing when it comes to fire forming cases.
I like your idea of using 25-06 brass over 270 win brass. Using necked down 270 brass many times will create thicker than optimal neck wall thickness and will require turning down the necks whereas expanded 25-06 neck walls will be .012" to 015"after expanding.

Would the 25-06 necks be more prone to cracking or splitting, than say the 270. I have ruled out the 30-06 brass.

Would the 25-06 necks be more prone to cracking or splitting, than say the 270. I have ruled out the 30-06 brass.
You said you have years of 25-06 brass. If any of that is fired, seat a 6.5 bullet into it and you will realize how little you are going to have to stretch it.

I like your idea of using 25-06 brass over 270 win brass. Using necked down 270 brass many times will create thicker than optimal neck wall thickness and will require turning down the necks whereas expanded 25-06 neck walls will be .012" to 015"after expanding.

I am going to turn necks when using .270 cases.

I'm using .270 brass also. Ordered some Nosler brass for the job. I may make some from .25-06 cases just because I can and I have few a few laying around. Using .280 or .280AI cases is a bit more work.

I just ordered my 6.5-06 dies. Which cal. brass will give me the least trouble and headaches when resizing and shooting it, ----- 25-06---270---280 ??? I am leaning toward the 270 brass.
You said you have years of 25-06 brass. If any of that is fired, seat a 6.5 bullet into it and you will realize how little you are going to have to stretch it.

You could just seat a .264 bullet into a .25-06 case whether fired or not. If it's bothersome use a .262 mandrel to neck up the unfired case necks.

I'm using 270 brass for my AI chamber. Not only is 30-06 brass more work & trouble, it also comes out a tad short after the shoulder gets puffed out. I size the neck diameter, then trim to 2.522 length, which will barely fit in the chamber. When I fireform it, I lose about 10 thou in length, which ends up being perfect for what I want. If you're not using AI, 30-06 or 25-06 would be fine. Of the three cases, I believe 25-06 is generally the least commonly available and most expensive, although not by a lot.

So, to answer the OP, AI is a bit more work, and probably should be done with 270 cases only, while the non-AI is a bit less work and can use any of the 3 cases, probably 25-06 being the easiest, as no length trimming needed. Thus far in my load development, I'm not even filling non-AI cases, so being AI is not a gain for me, at least not yet. I've only just begun my load development, although I now have 100 fully formed cases. I found that, even during fireforming, accuracy is excellent.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.