6.5-06 ai loads..?

Stick

Hey guys, I have a 6.5-06 ai in a custom rifle. I am currently shooting 140 gr. bullets out of it. I am just getting my pressure limits dialed in now. Im not trying to be that guy that no one wants to be around when he shoots, just collecting info. I got up to a high mv with very little sign of pressure. From what I read I am way over loading for that mv. Just wondering if anyone has one that can tell me a little more than what I am hearing... Thanks Rob.

I had a custom 6.5-06 AI built specifically for the 140 gr. bullets. Barrel was a 1-in-eight twist from Lilja. Problem is...some rifles have a mind all their own. Mine likes the 130 gr. AB the best, so that is what I use.

Going back through my shooting log, I found the following recipe worked well with the Berger 140 gr. bullets:

57.5 gr. of Hodgdon 1000 @ ave. 2,930 fps

I tested loads up to 60.7 gr. of H 1000. Got to 3,100+ fps, but accuracy was unacceptable.

Start lower and work up.

Best load for 130 gr. AB = 56.2 gr. of H 4831SC @ ave. 3,120 fps

Thanks for the info, I also have a lilja on mine. Why did the 140 not work? No accuracy? I would prefer to shoot the 140s but if it wont then no big deal. I have been fire forming with 140s and can tell you it is very accurate just that way, I shot three animals this year with it. It will shoot a five eighths group at 100 yds(unformed brass). I could not believe it. Thanks again, Rob.

I experimented with both the 140 Beger VLD and the 142 SMK. Never got better than 3/4 to 1 MOA no matter which powder (tried H4831, H1000, IMR 4350) I tried. Bullets were stabilized, but just not the tight groups I had hoped for. On a whim I tried the 130 AB and started seeing tighter groups. The velocity is up there, so I decided not to mess with it.

From time to time, I think about going back and experimenting with the 140's, but the higher BC's don't make enough difference over my current load to where it matters. Again, probably due to the higher velocity of the 130.

Good luck in your search. The 140's are ideal and I would start there.

In my 6.5-280 improved I am getting good groups with a Shilen Match barrel 1-8" @26". 51.7gr IMR4831 F210M primers and 142 SMK's runing at 2850 fps.

I'm going to start testing Reloader 15 and Mag primers. All my other wildcats with similar case designs shoot much better with mag primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.