6.5/06 AI--130Berger---.100 off lands

ACKLEY NUT

I have been testing the (130 Berger VLD Hunting) in my rifle and it seems to like about .100 off the lands with H-4831SC. My question is do I have to go through all this testing with other powders that I want to try or will this remain the sweet spot for any powder that I choose? I want to try V V n-165, IMR 4831, IMR 7828SC. 6.5/06AI,DouglasSupreme 26"(medium heavy sporter),1-8 twist

you will have to retest for every powder. But why, if you have found an accurate load you are happy with, don't fall into tinkeritise.

The reason I was asking the question is because I'm not completely satisfied with the results that I got. That was the best groups that I got but they weren't as good as I would like them to be. (.811 for 5 shots @ 100yds)

I have a couple of 6.5-06 AI's and have never had much luck shooting the 130 Bergers. All the ones I have ever been around and there have been several have shot lights out with the 140 Berger VLD's and 59 grains of Retumbo with a Federal 215. Velocity is good with a good average between rifles of around 3080fps. Most seem to settle in shooting in the high 2's to low 3's seated approximately .035 off the lands. I have also compared using Lapua 30-06 brass and also the Nosler 280AI brass and can't see a noticeable difference between the two. I was able to get 9+ loading out of the Nosler brass which really surprised me. I just got into annealing brass and think using Nosler brass and annealing will be the way to go. Awesome choice on the 6.5-06AI!! I have shot them for the last 8 years and they have always been my go to critter gitter!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.