6.5/06 advantage?

Waynard

Hi guys, maybe some of you fellas could tell me whats the advantage of the 6.5/06 over the 6.5/284 if any. I'm thinking about building a 6.5/06 but I can buy a 6.5/284 already built, just considering which way to go.

Thanks , I do load my own so I'll probably get a set of good dies also. Seems to me the 6.5/06 would be easy to reform from 270 or 25/06 brass.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have used both and prefer the 6.5x284 because of the exceptional accuracy that I have been able to get out of my rifles with little fuss. I suspect this is the reason for it's popularity with the Benchrest guys. I like the case design and the Lapua brass is superb. I can get at least 10 reloads out of it. I have never had feeding issues with the round, and have found no material difference in barrel life given equivalent velocities.

Hi guys, maybe some of you fellas could tell me whats the advantage of the 6.5/06 over the 6.5/284 if any. I'm thinking about building a 6.5/06 but I can buy a 6.5/284 already built, just considering which way to go.
My opinion, if you're going to go with a 6.5-06, you might as well go 6.5-06 AI. And if you're going to build a 6.5-06 AI, you might as well build a 6.5 Sherman to get ALL the velocity possible out of that case. See "elkaholic" (Rich Sherman) on here for more details. He has reamers for rental, and dies available for purchase.

Here's the Pro's and Con's I can see for the 6.5-06/6.5-06AI/6.5 Sherman vs the 6.5-284 Norma:

More plentiful brass available to use for forming (.25-06/.270/.280./.30-06)
Cheaper brass
More brands of brass to select from
More velocity

Cons:
Fire-forming brass
Brass Prep
no factory-formed brass available

6.5-06 and the 6.5-284 have nearly identical case capacities and in fact load data can be interchanged between the two. There is no advantage to either one as far as performance is concerned.

Thanks again for all the info. Savage makes a Model 11 LRH in 6.5/284 and I'm considering that rifle also. I have a Savage Model 11 Predator Hunter in 6.5 CM and its a accurate rifle. You fellas know how it is, just have to squeeze out a few more F.P.S..

Pretty happy with my Savage LRH in 6.5x284. This is pretty typical performance. Won this rifle at an Egg Shoot a few years ago. A lucky day!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 72
Several advantages to the 6.5-06 AI

1. Much longer barrel life. My first one went almost 2000 rounds before losing match accuracy.

2. Can easily hit 3050 with 140s and can go to 3150 sometimes, depending on the barrel.

3. Brass is easy to get.

I am building another right now and took it over the 6.5-284

My advice would be to build a 6.5-06 Ackley Improved. You will have a better rifle & your brass will last longer. I have a 25-06 AI that I really love.
Thanks, Kirk

I'm with a poster above - make it a 6.5-06 AI or take a look at the 6.5 Sherman. My 6.5 Sherman should be in my hands within a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to pushing a 160 gr matrix at 3050!

I get 3329 fps with my Sherman and 140 Bergers. Using N570 with a 28" Hart. Accuracy was exceptional. Brass life was not. I have since dropped that load by 1 grain. Brass life should improve. I agree if you want the most speed out of the calibers listed the Sherman is the way to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts