6.5-06 ackley improved

Your problem with the brass oversizing is exactly why in a wildcat chamber I either have the dies made from reamer print or 3 fired cases the latter is the preferred way.
Where would you recommend getting dies made for this cartridge using 3 fired cases as you suggest?

I use a Redding type S 280 AI neck sizing die with appropriate bushing for neck sizing. I bet you could sell the A square dies pretty easy and recoup some funds. I also use lapua 30-06 brass and step it down with 2 bushings and turn the necks. 3205 with 140 bergers in a 26" hart barrel. Having another built for 156's as we speak.
What are you using for bullet seating and full length sizing?

Where would you recommend getting dies made for this cartridge using 3 fired cases as you suggest?
I would go with a custom die maker, if you read Alex's thread on the PRC die problems it will explain what happens at the .200 line. When you pick off the shelf dies you take a chance that there gonna size correctly. I believe this to be a problem with most fast cartridges if you run them at top end. Compare Alex's PRC print to saami and I would size accordingly.

I would go with a custom die maker, if you read Alex's thread on the PRC die problems it will explain what happens at the .200 line. When you pick off the shelf dies you take a chance that there gonna size correctly. I believe this to be a problem with most fast cartridges if you run them at top end. Compare Alex's PRC print to saami and I would size accordingly.
Thx

First to explained what I've got, and how I'm "struggling".
I bought a 6.5-06 ackley improved off gun broker. It is a Winchester model 70 push feed, with a 26" 1-8 light contour barrel. Made by Oregunsmithing.

To fire form I used 50 new Hornady 270 win brass resized it with rcbs 6.5-06 Asquare dies (dealer ordered and got wrong dies $85 pretty much wasted) and trimmed to length with a lee 25-06 case trimmer. I left a .010 portion of the neck unsized, and loaded 129 grain Hornady SST with 53 grains of reloader 22 (almost max load according to Nosler website for 6.5-06 Asquare... only data I could find) and federal 215 gold medal magnum match primers. This load produced about 1" groups @ 2775fps. But About 1/4 of my cases showed stretching at the web, and a couple even started to split at the case head... epic fail!

I tried 52.5 grains and pressure was a lot worse. Split the case at the case head, very flat primer, almost blew out the primer, the primer was mushroom shaped when deprimed the bottom half of the case. This doesn't make sense to me, but it apparently was an "under charge" causing excessive stretching at the web and excess pressure sign's on the primer.

So I discarded the Hornady cases (don't trust them to reload) there went $40.

I contacted Redding and finally ordered 6.5-06 ackley improved 40* dies from a source they recommended ...$180. I also ordered 100 new Norma 270win cases and a 6.5 Lee case trimmer. I worked up a load with H-1000 and 129 grain Hornady sst. Setting at 58.5 grains @ 2870fps about an 1" group @ 100yds. Finally got a good fireforming load.

Now I'm trying to find a good load for my formed cases...My goal is 3200fps with 129 grain bullets with 1/2" groups.
So far h-1000 is not going to get me there... retumbo is to slow... reloader 26 with 61 grains gets me 3212fps but I'm getting more pressure signs than I like... flat primer with slight ejector marks on brass...

What I have learned so far is ...I have a loose chamber, and a long throat. All my loads seem to shoot about an 1". Not bad but not what I'm looking for.
I'll quit here so my thread doesn't take up to many pages lol. Any help would be great!
If you never shot that load before you should have shot about 25 pc of brass at about 75% charge weight. Used those to do a ladder test to start your load development and to find pressure safely. Instead of ruining brass. Then you look at your ladder and find a speed node to test your jump with at 6 thou increments. Then use the best jump to do a OCW test with. Maybe do jump and charge one more time if needed. 50-100 fps is nothing, chase consistency not speed. Your goal shouldnt be X fps. It should be fast as possible caliber dependent and sub half moa and a ES under 15 fps, imo.
Check out Satterlee and OCW load development videos and Eric Cortina videos on load development. Anything by Brain Litz. Work a plan instead of guessing. Not trying to be harsh, but thats what it sounded like. Oh, and I know somebody else who's is doing a 6.5x06 AI and he's using Norma 25x06 brass.
Help this info helps out.

Attachments

• 20210622_022912.jpg
    20210622_022912.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 63