6.5-06 ackley improved

I'm using CCI#250s. I tried using Rem #9.5s but I got better ES with the 250s with the exact same speed. I haven't tried Fed 215s but have heard good things.

One doesn't need a magnum primer for 53 grains of powder. Federal 210 match primers are the cat's meow. I will use them with my new 6.5-06 AI once I get it and probably use IMR7828 since I have a lot of it. For many years I used the Hornady 129 grain interlocks. Last couple of years I used the Sierra 130 grain TGKs. Got some 120 grain lead-free to try for this year. Hornady GMX and Nosler E Tips.

In a correctly cut 6.5-06 AI chamber, loaded to the lands or jammed is irrelevant. 25-06 or 30-06 brass should have a .003-.004 crush. Where the bullet is seated doesn't mean squat. But can aid in sharper shoulders post fireforming.

I don't think the crush fit did much for the OP since he had about a 25% scrap rate when fire forming. I don't know about the OP's chamber, but if it's too long or too sloppy, he may not have had enough crush fit. I know what works for me and that is with bullets seated to touch or jam so I know the case won't move when the firing pin strikes. YMMV. The fact that he has so many get stretched tells you somethin aint right.

Anyone know if the Hornady 046043 neck size die will work on my 6.5-06AI?

Could you use you 6.5-06 FL die to neck size the 6.5-06AI cases? Looks like it should size most of the neck. Not sure if it will mess with the case body at all tho.

Here is a pic of each case side by side. I need to turn the AI necks down closer to the neck shoulder junction.

eiCWfFT.jpg

If you use a standard 6.5-06 FL die, to size a 6.5-06 AI case, if you don't crush the shoulder, you will have a standard 6.5-06 case when you're done.

You could use a 6.5-06 AI die to neck size a 6.5-06 case but not the other way around.

John

If you use a standard 6.5-06 FL die, to size a 6.5-06 AI case, if you don't crush the shoulder, you will have a standard 6.5-06 case when you're done.

You could use a 6.5-06 AI die to neck size a 6.5-06 case but not the other way around.

John

Yeah, brain farted there.

Finally got out to fine tune my 6.5-06AI and got my loads dialed in. One hole groups at 100yds.
129 accubond long range, 60.6gr of RL26, fed 215gmmm primer, Norma 270win cases trimmed and fireformed for 3222FPS avg... Es-8, Sd-4. Got a prairie dog at 535yds with it today. Took some work... but Extremely happy with this rifle!

We have an old Winchester Enfield in 30-06. It is sporterized so not any collectors value. The existing barrel is OK (1918 build) so we thought about making something fun and somewhat unique. I think the LRM case is too fat. That is why I was asking about the 6.5-06 AI. Who did you have make your barrel?

We have an old Winchester Enfield in 30-06. It is sporterized so not any collectors value. The existing barrel is OK (1918 build) so we thought about making something fun and somewhat unique. I think the LRM case is too fat. That is why I was asking about the 6.5-06 AI. Who did you have make your barrel?

The smith doing the work uses Hart barrels.