6.5-06 ackley improved

WE ARENT TALKING FACTORY CHAMBER OR AMMO IM DONE!!!!!

I understand that but it's a factory magazine and the principal is the same. It's highly unlikely that a wildcat cartridge with bullets seated to just fit in a magazine will have the bullets touch the lands.

Colestaton suggestion on using 280AI as a neck die would probably be your best bet.
I dont think the reamer being the first chamber makes anything large.
I had a reamer made that was .003 small at the .200 line needless to say I dont use that reamer maker anymore not all manufacturers make reamers to the specs there suppose to be.
I understand that but it's a factory magazine and the principal is the same. It's highly unlikely that a wildcat cartridge with bullets seated to just fit in a magazine will have the bullets touch the lands.
Thanks for your help/input!
I don't need to/ nor want to touch the lands for fireform. I want to be able to use my magazine and can. I use a crush fit with the 270necks, and it works just fine. Thanks

Thanks for your help/input!
I don't need to/ nor want to touch the lands for fireform. I want to be able to use my magazine and can. I use a crush fit with the 270necks, and it works just fine. Thanks

What exactly is a crush fit? Good luck. Have you tried IMR7828?

Last edited:
You use 270win brass ...trimmed to length, then just size a portion of the neck to 6.5. Viola 6.5-06 crush fit off the neck. (Leaves a false shoulder partway down the neck)

I don't recall a false shoulder being called a crush fit. Why is your fire forming scrap rate so high or was that due to case brand? By lightly jamming I never lost even one case out of several hundred.

If you're shooting for 3200 fps mv you will end up with loose primer pockets in no time. Also I recall a friend and mentor who is a benchrest shooter and world class bullet maker telling me years ago that Remington primers are the hardest of the commonly available primers. If they flatten then your load is HOT.

Last edited:
I don't recall a false shoulder being called a crush fit. Why is your fire forming scrap rate so high or was that due to case brand? By lightly jamming I never lost even one case out of several hundred.

If you're shooting for 3200 fps mv you will end up with loose primer pockets in no time. Also I recall a friend and mentor who is a benchrest shooter and world class bullet maker telling me years ago that Remington primers are the hardest of the commonly available primers. If they flatten then your load is HOT.
Hornady cases are harder and thinner... but I don't think that was the problem. Probably was cased by a combination of things, to light of a load of reloader 22, large/loose chamber, long throat, etc...Nosler recommended max was just over 53grains for "parent case" 6.5-06 Asquare. Probably would have been fine with a larger charge... like 55grains.
I usually only used Federal 215 mag match primer, as I "usually" find they work best and are the softest primer(my opinion) and show pressure first.

Hornady cases are harder and thinner... but I don't think that was the problem. Probably was cased by a combination of things, to light of a load of reloader 22, large/loose chamber, long throat, etc...Nosler recommended max was just over 53grains for "parent case" 6.5-06 Asquare. Probably would have been fine with a larger charge... like 55grains.
I usually only used Federal 215 mag match primer, as I "usually" find they work best and are the softest primer(my opinion) and show pressure first.

My friend also said that Federal primers are the softest. Maybe have a chamber cast done and see if the chamber really is sloppily large and the throat is too long. Even a sloppy chamber can be accommodated if the cases are fire formed properly. The thing with a long throat is that you will never know if a bullet seated close to or touching the lands is your best load accuracy-wise. Same thing with seating to magazine length.
Maximum loads tend to vary depending upon whose published data one uses. IMO bullet weights are interchangeable, but I've seen at least one person say that Sierra bullets give higher pressure than other manufacturer's bullets of the same weight.

Sorry you're having so much trouble with the 6.5-06AI. I use the Redding dies for mine and they work great. Very fun gun to shoot! My gun didn't shoot the 129 SSTs very good, but I didn't try very hard~ 25rds total or so? It shot other bullets so good I never tried the 129s again. 3200fps should be easy with the 129s IMHO. I hit 3400 with 122s before pressure and 3200+ with 140s. I use H4831sc with the lighter bullets (really all bullets except the 156) and it's seems to work.

I think you are on the right idea with a neck sizer, but sooner or later you'll need to bump the shoulder back and then what's the plan? I think what one person said above is the best option, that's sending 3 fired brass to Hornady and getting custom dies. Yeah it's expensive, but if you're planning on keeping the gun it will save you a ton of headaches!

Sorry you're having so much trouble with the 6.5-06AI. I use the Redding dies for mine and they work great. Very fun gun to shoot! My gun didn't shoot the 129 SSTs very good, but I didn't try very hard~ 25rds total or so? It shot other bullets so good I never tried the 129s again. 3200fps should be easy with the 129s IMHO. I hit 3400 with 122s before pressure and 3200+ with 140s. I use H4831sc with the lighter bullets (really all bullets except the 156) and it's seems to work.

I think you are on the right idea with a neck sizer, but sooner or later you'll need to bump the shoulder back and then what's the plan? I think what one person said above is the best option, that's sending 3 fired brass to Hornady and getting custom dies. Yeah it's expensive, but if you're planning on keeping the gun it will save you a ton of headaches!
When I need to resize, I'll aneal and run em thru my Redding die. What primer are you using?

When I need to resize, I'll aneal and run em thru my Redding die. What primer are you using?

I'm using CCI#250s. I tried using Rem #9.5s but I got better ES with the 250s with the exact same speed. I haven't tried Fed 215s but have heard good things.

In a correctly cut 6.5-06 AI chamber, loaded to the lands or jammed is irrelevant. 25-06 or 30-06 brass should have a .003-.004 crush. Where the bullet is seated doesn't mean squat. But can aid in sharper shoulders post fireforming.