6.5-06 ackley improved

I use a Redding type S 280 AI neck sizing die with appropriate bushing for neck sizing. I bet you could sell the A square dies pretty easy and recoup some funds. I also use lapua 30-06 brass and step it down with 2 bushings and turn the necks. 3205 with 140 bergers in a 26" hart barrel. Having another built for 156's as we speak.

Here is a round I loaded a couple years ago with the Sierra 6.5mm 130 grain GameChanger bullet, the top one in pic. I couldn't seat it out far enough to touch the lands and still be seated deep enough to hold the bullet. Way back when it was new I didn't have any trouble seating into the lands and having sufficient seating depth. If magazine length is limiting COL then seat out until they just fit or go longer and use it like a single shot. Since I only have Rem 700 BDLs, I assume magazine length in his gun is roughly the same. I would futher assume by this time that the 6.5-06 AI chamber would have about the same throat length as a factory issue .270. If not it should have.

In each pictured round I used 61 grins of IMR7828 with no pressure signs.

z5ZJB6s.jpg

Last edited:
O.P says mag box is his limitation

When you're fire forming cases why would you even be concerned that it will fit in the magazine? That's just silly. As I said earlier when fire forming a case you don't want it to have movement in the chamber. You want it at least touching or better yet mildly jammed. The idea is to blow the shoulder forward, not to have the case stretch in all directions. Once the cases are formed then you proceed to work up a load within the parameters that you're stuck with.

Also if he can't seat to touch the lands and still have a reasonable seating depth in the case neck then his throat is too long. I'd be sending it to a smith that doesn't have a reamer just like the one that was used to do his rifle. Or cut the throat separately if possible.

BTW I'm not familiar with push feed. What is that?

A 30-06 case neck is .385 long so if you run.130 freebore that's just above the neck shoulder junction with a 140 so to burn enough throat so the neck wont even hold a bullet you would have to burn about .180 of the throat is that what your saying you did?

Didn't mean to cause problems...
It's like Goldilocks (to hot, to cold, just right).
I want to run 129grain Nosler Accubond LongRanges for the .530 BC, and velocity around 3200fps. My choice!

no I don't feel my throat is to long. It's just designed/made for 140's or longer bullets. I can/could instal a longer mag box, and trim down the bolt stop, and shoot 143 eld-x 142 Nosler's, etc. just off the lands. I choose not to. I believe my chamber was the first one cut with a new reamer, which usually make for a loose chamber/long throat... it's not a problem. (Or at lest wouldn't be if I'd ordered dies to fit the chamber). I'm looking for a die to just size the neck!!! I can full length size with my 6.5-06AI dies when I run into hard chamber.

L.Sherm —- can I use a .264 win mag sizing die for neck sizing? Does someone make a neck die that will work?

When you're fire forming cases why would you even be concerned that it will fit in the magazine? That's just silly. As I said earlier when fire forming a case you don't want it to have movement in the chamber. You want it at least touching or better yet mildly jammed. The idea is to blow the shoulder forward, not to have the case stretch in all directions. Once the cases are formed then you proceed to work up a load within the parameters that you're stuck with.

Also if he can't seat to touch the lands and still have a reasonable seating depth in the case neck then his throat is too long. I'd be sending it to a smith that doesn't have a reamer just like the one that was used to do his rifle. Or cut the throat separately if possible.

Push feed is where the case pushes in to the extractor/ ejector on the bolt. (Like a Remington) Positive feed also called controld round feeds. Are Mauser style bolts where the ejector is in the action and a case slides into the face of the bolt face/extractor from the bottom. You can single feed any push feed bolt.
You "should not" single feed a Mauser style bolt! (98 Mauser, pre64 Winchester, model 70 classic, Montana rifles)..... all are examples of this. As you can break the extractor forcing it over a case head.

The mag box limitation was in reference to not being able to reach the lands nothing to do with fireforming.

Colestaton suggestion on using 280AI as a neck die would probably be your best bet.
I dont think the reamer being the first chamber makes anything large.
I had a reamer made that was .003 small at the .200 line needless to say I dont use that reamer maker anymore not all manufacturers make reamers to the specs there suppose to be.

The mag box limitation was in reference to not being able to reach the lands nothing to do with fireforming.

It's supposed to be that way. I doubt if factory ammo will touch the lands in a factory chamber, so so what? I got the impression he was stuffing his fire forming loads into the magazine instead of single shotting them. IMO the fact that his cases were getting ruined tells me he's fire forming them wrong. I've done hundreds with no problems. Once you get the cases formed, then you deal with COL and your magazine limits.

Didn't mean to cause problems...
It's like Goldilocks (to hot, to cold, just right).
I want to run 129grain Nosler Accubond LongRanges for the .530 BC, and velocity around 3200fps. My choice!

no I don't feel my throat is to long. It's just designed/made for 140's or longer bullets. I can/could instal a longer mag box, and trim down the bolt stop, and shoot 143 eld-x 142 Nosler's, etc. just off the lands. I choose not to. I believe my chamber was the first one cut with a new reamer, which usually make for a loose chamber/long throat... it's not a problem. (Or at lest wouldn't be if I'd ordered dies to fit the chamber). I'm looking for a die to just size the neck!!! I can full length size with my 6.5-06AI dies when I run into hard chamber.

L.Sherm —- can I use a .264 win mag sizing die for neck sizing? Does someone make a neck die that will work?

If you still have it why not use your 6.5-06 A Square or whatever die it is for a neck sizing die? Why would a .264 Win Mag die be any better?

Also did you get any formed cases from the previous owner?

Message to the OP. For $10 PP family and friends I will give you 20 cases from my stash. The $10 is for P and H in a SFRB. They are R-P cases and my note says they have been fired twice. I made them from .280 Remington brass. They are sized and cleaned. All they need is primed and loaded. PM me if that would work for you.