6.5-06 Ackley Improved Data, This is my data so far, What's yours?

Dano,

Because I am going to use the same 129 and 130gr bullets, what have you learned about powders and primers?

When I first tried loading for this rifle, I was dead set on loading Bergers for it First the 140s then the 130s, It wouldn't shoot either, however, while trying both bullets, I learned that US-869 and Retumbo were too slow and Retumbo yielded decent groups. H1000 wouldn't group under an inch nor would IMR7828. I would have stayed with Retumbo, but couldn't get it to group under .800". I then tried RL-22 and groups were .750" a little improvement with the best velocity at 3100FPS.

I banged my head against the wall and decided to switch gears again and tried the 129g Hornady SSTs and to save some time, I decided to use RL-22 Right off. "Pow", Groups magically went to .300" instantly. At this point I decided to try to improve velocity, and started playing with charge weight and primers.

With top end loads, I found that during cold weather (20 degrees and lower), the velocity with RL-22 was about 100fps slower, at 95 degrees pressure spiked and I started blowing primers. To resolve this I switched from a Large rifle primer (CCI200) to a Large rifle Magnum primer (CCI250) for a better ignition at low temps. And reduced top end loads by 1 grain to prevent blowing primers. Final velocity is at 3125fps. As a Side note, Federal Magnum Match primers yielded a very low ES and accuracy was better, but these primers are extremely hard to find so I decided the CCI250 was the better way to go.

All the powders you have indicated will work good, it just depends on what your rifle likes. I didn't have the opportunity to try Magpro or VV N-560, I can't get them here. But the RL-22 is working quite well, it is a dirty powder and is a pain to clean, but the accuracy it yields in this rifle is worth it.

I'm hesitant to work any other loads as all I would be doing is wearing out the barrel, The cool thing is that both 129g SST and Interbond have identical BCs and they fly the same, we shoot the SSTs for Muleys and Interbonds for Elk.

Hope this is helpful,

Dano

Hello, I was wondering if you still have your 6.5-06AI and what loads you would suggest trying. I used IMR 4350 52.5 with 140 hornadys and so far am impressed.

I need to update my M70 6.5-270 Ackley findings. The 130 Berger "Hunting" has proved to be more accurate than the 129 Interbond, 129 SST, 130 Accubonds or 120 Barnes. These loads were with F210 Primers. The SD went down as pressure increased. Once fired Norma 270 cases. Bullets HBN coated in a nitrocarburized Rock Creek 5R 26" barrel.

130 Berger R-26 62.7 gr 3275 25.46SD

I switched to a CCI 200 and got more velocity and accuracy.

130 Berger R-26 62.0 gr 3320 6.36SD

Hello All!

Glad to see people are still interested in the 6.5-06 AI.

I was able to bring my 6.5-06AI Home this last fall and I will be back to trying new loads for it this year.

Now that Berger has come out with some different bullets since I tried the 140gVLDs, I will be trying the 130g OTM Tactical bullets, and the 135g Classic Hunters.

I really want to try different powders too. We haven't changed the load for this rifle since I developed the 129g Hornady SST and Interbond with RL-22 loads back in 2010 & 2011.

Since then This rifle has taken a few Muleys and I'm not happy with the performance of the SSTs. They will leave an exit hole the size of your fist on the far side of the deer. Sure dead is dead, but meat damage and blood shot is excessive.

I have acquired Quickload and I believe that I can tweak the 6.5-06 A-SQUARE file changing the Case volume in the file once I have measured some case capacities of my Ackley cases.

Loaded to same pressures, I should be able to find better suited powders for this cartridge.

65WSM,

That's some interesting data using RL-26. I just saw some today at my local shop. May have to try that.

I have some RL-23 too, thinking that may be an option.

As a side note. When it came to sizing cases, I went with RCBS since it was all I could find, I was on a really tight budget and I didn't know about bushing dies at the time. Things have changed a bit, so I may look into that set up you had indicated that you were interested in.

Thanks for your insights. It's always fun learning from each others experiences.

Dano

Dano,
Thanks for starting this discussion about the 6.5-06 Ackley. Reloader 26 is not just the right burn rate for the case volume with 130 gr bullets, more importantly it has the Nitrocheme formula. Your Reloader 22 and 23 are the decades old formula from Bufors. I remember when Reloader 22 first was imported from Sweden. It was the best available powder for the .264 Win Mag with 140gr (usually Partitions). It was better than IMR or Surplus 4831. It was several years later before H-1000 and IMR 7828 became available.

Reloader 26 is a little fast for the larger case of the 6.5 WSM with the 140 gr bullets. Retumbo is the correct burn rate for that application but it is single base and the more modern formula of Reloader 26 beats it with room to rattle in the case.

65WSM,

That's Awesome! I'm definitely going to look at RL-26. Definitely sounds worth while.

Going to give it a shot.

Thanks for the info. I haven't used All of the Alliant powders as they haven't been available in this area in great quantities till recently.

My Father owned the 6.5-06AI for several years where in I didn't have the opportunity to work further with it other than Loading the same load that I originally developed.

Getting excited again about this cartridge.

Thanks,

Dan

I don't have a AI
my 6.5- 06 load
140 berger hyb
54.0 vit n-165
cci br 2
3.697 with comp nut
8 fps ES

3028 fps last group at a 1000 3.5 inches 3 shots..

jwing,

That sounds like a shooter for sure! Good Load info!

65WSM,

I picked up a pound of RL-26. I was able to add in the 6.5-06AI to my Quick Load Data base.

I also picked up some 135g Berger Classic Hunters, as my 6.5-06AI has a 1-9" BBL.
I wanted to give them a try as well.

You indicated that your bullets were HBN coated, I'm not familiar with that process. I am very familiar with moly coating and I have done that in the past. What is the Process for HBN coating?
I ran your numbers through Quick load and it seemed that a coated bullet can go significantly faster with less pressures.
What would make HBN coating any better than Moly?

I also want to know about that Rock creek barrel. What does nitrocarburized Mean? is that a process for treating the bore of the barrel?

Sorry for the questions! Just trying to be more informed.

I have limited funds (very kid poor right now). If I go back to using a coated bullet, I'll probably use moly. I already have the set up for moly coating my own. I know how to do this very well and I didn't have issues that some guys did with buildup in their barrels.

Thanks for your insight,

Your experience is valuable to me.

Dan

My bullets are not coated. I tried retumbo, h-1000 magnum, I did not try rl 26 was not out when I built my 6.5-06

The 130 Berger would be what I would try. You should of got a 8 twist

Hind sight being 20/20, yeah I should have gotten a 1-8" twist. I ended up getting my Shilen Select match barrel for less than $200 at the time.

I will get a 1-9" the next time around. Still this rifle is one heck of a shooter with 129g Hornady SSTs or Interbonds. I would be happy with them if the performance on game was acceptable. So I'm trying other things to see if it can be improved upon.

I have a custom 6.5-06 with a 22" M24 contour barrel. It's a awesome shooter but with the A5 stock it's in its way too heavy for hunting. I just got a McMillan Game Hunter edge tech stock that's 26oz and picked up a Hardy Carbon Fiber 6.5mm barrel that is .930 at 24"muzzle. Since I'm going to chamber the new barrel, I was thinking about all of the possibilities. I think I'm going with the 6.5-06 AI. I have the regular 6.5-06 dies and about 3 boxes of custom Ammo and another 150 pieces of sized brass. My question is this, can I shoot my regular Ammo through the Ackley chamber and basically fire form it that way? And is there any 6.5-06 AI brass available anywhere? I have all types of 6.5 bullets. From Berger 130-140, Hornady ELD-X, Nosler 140 BT and Sierra 142 MK. I'm pretty excited about this, I just hope I'm going with the right cartridge. I want to run a 140 at least 3100 if possible.

Note Miller 1, you did not tell us what twist (and therefore which bullets) your 24 inch barrel was designed for. For the 1 in 9 twist barrel, I still like either the 130 AB (original) or the 130 Berger seated with a $50 Wilson blank that was reamed with the chamber. Most seating dies will lack the VLD stem. I believe that Reloader 26 is uniquely the correct burn rate for this case volume. I am using .26/06 brass and a Redding .25/06 Ackley bushing die to get a neck tension of 1.5 thousandths. If you reverse the Wilson bushings (they are slightly tapered) you can get a half a thousandth of tension if necessary. Snow is falling and I am looking forward to hunting in the morning.:) DSCN2074.jpg

I have a custom 6.5-06 with a 22" M24 contour barrel. It's a awesome shooter but with the A5 stock it's in its way too heavy for hunting. I just got a McMillan Game Hunter edge tech stock that's 26oz and picked up a Hardy Carbon Fiber 6.5mm barrel that is .930 at 24"muzzle. Since I'm going to chamber the new barrel, I was thinking about all of the possibilities. I think I'm going with the 6.5-06 AI. I have the regular 6.5-06 dies and about 3 boxes of custom Ammo and another 150 pieces of sized brass. My question is this, can I shoot my regular Ammo through the Ackley chamber and basically fire form it that way? And is there any 6.5-06 AI brass available anywhere? I have all types of 6.5 bullets. From Berger 130-140, Hornady ELD-X, Nosler 140 BT and Sierra 142 MK. I'm pretty excited about this, I just hope I'm going with the right cartridge. I want to run a 140 at least 3100 if possible.

I'm going with the 6.5-06 AI. I have the regular 6.5-06 dies and about 3 boxes of custom Ammo and another 150 pieces of sized brass. My question is this, can I shoot my regular Ammo through the Ackley chamber and basically fire form it that way? And is there any 6.5-06 AI brass available anywhere? I have all types of 6.5 bullets. From Berger 130-140, Hornady ELD-X, Nosler 140 BT and Sierra 142 MK. I'm pretty excited about this, I just hope I'm going with the right cartridge. I want to run a 140 at least 3100 if possible.[/QUOTE]