6-284 87gr vmax loads

Texote

Hey guys Im having a 6-284 with a 1:10 twist built and was wondering what loads yall were using for the 87gr vmax.

I did some searching on here and the heavier bullets seem to be a lil more popular.

Thanks for any and all help

I got this from the net and put them in my documents a few years ago. I recommend starting below any suggested loads and work up. These should give you some ideas.

53.2g of RL-22, CCI BR2 primer, Lapua brass, 87g VMAX seated 0.005 out of the lands. 3598 fps BC for 87 gr is .400 (have no idea as to barrel length)
-----------

Out of my 6x284 I'm getting 3,630 (Average of 7 shots) with a 87gr V-max. It needs 53.5grs of H4350 to do though.I've only shot coyotes with it and a few squirels ,which I might add turn into a "Red Mist"
-----------

88 gr bergers H-1000 is the most accurate all around High Vel load @ 3825fps
--------------
I began load development with RL-22 and was able to drive 87g VMAX's to about 3590 fps or so however I have since switched to RL-17.
-----------
I am currently using 49.3g of RL-17 and the 87g VMAX. I am getting 3697 fps +- 4 fps regularly. This powder got me an extra 100 fps (which is the whole point we are shooting this thing!) and the accuracy has been incredible! OF course I am shooting a 30" barrel.
-------------

Lex Weibernick has built a lot of 6-284 rifles and I remember talking with him at a SCI show some years back and reloader 19 was THE powder to use with midweight bullets in that cartridge in fact I belive it was the 87 hrn and 19 that he shot a lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.