5R rifling any thing Better?????

There will be responses from different angles on this subject. Where you might see the biggest difference is: a 5r is less likely to sling jackets off of thin jacketed match bullets when pushing them to velocities of around 3200 fps and above in fast twist barrels. All other aspects seem to be a moot point.

I only have two rifles with 5R, both Savage 10T-SR one in in 6.5 SIM and the other in 300WM. Some say it does not have 5R and some say it does. They advertise it as having it. The WM with a Silencerco 3 port brake is probably the most accurate rifle I have ever owned ( a true one hole rifle and shoots in the .1s when loose). The SIM is accurate but nothing spectacular (.5"/5) they both foul like any other rifle. I only have just under 500 down the SIM and 150 down the WM, so I have no idea if they are better or not. I did not buy them because of the rifling I bought them because they were inexpensive and well a Savage HB with Accustock.

Last edited:
Krieger told me ~12 yrs ago they discern no difference in precision from barrels with 4 groove, 5R rifling, of 6 groove. For what that's worth...

I have read the same as DJ Fergus on one benefit of 5R rifling. Have also read that 5R rifling may foul less and can be a little easier to clean.

I don't get hung up over any rifling. My most accurate barrel is a Brux 4 groove. I think other factors are more important in barrel/bore manufacture than the type of grooves in the bore. Some very accomplished precision gunsmiths have changed their tunes over their preferred rifling over time. Which leads me to believe old wives tales and the best type of rifling, go hand in hand.

Last edited:
We just recently integrated barrel manufacturing at Gunwerks so we could better control supply chain and quality. I've spent a lot of time learning the past couple years. And obviously, after 15 yrs of producing turn key systems we have lots of experience shooting different configurations, and chambering different configurations of rifling.

5 grooves are not ideal. I'm a little stumped on why they are so popular. I suspect it's the usual marketing loop, where someone reads something somewhere then demands it from his builder who demands it from the barrel maker.

We will likely never make one...

We just recently integrated barrel manufacturing at Gunwerks so we could better control supply chain and quality. I've spent a lot of time learning the past couple years. And obviously, after 15 yrs of producing turn key systems we have lots of experience shooting different configurations, and chambering different configurations of rifling.

5 grooves are not ideal. I'm a little stumped on why they are so popular. I suspect it's the usual marketing loop, where someone reads something somewhere then demands it from his builder who demands it from the barrel maker.

We will likely never make one...

So, in your opinion, what is the ideal groove count/configuration?