5R rifling any thing Better?????

The only thing negative I recall reading (in a book) regarding 5r barrels is that you can get reamer chatter if you're not careful when cutting a chamber if your barrel has an odd number of lands/grooves (5r) and using a cutting reamer that has an even number of cutting flutes.
I'm not a gunsmith so don't know if this is true.

I only have two semi custom rifles. Blueprinted Rem. 700 w/Lilja button rifled (6 grove/lands) in .243 AI and a Rem. 700 .280 AI w/Brux cut rifling (6 grove/land… I think). They both shoot great.

I don't think you will go wrong if you buy from a reputable barrel maker with either cut or button rifling. In the future I'll probably be more inclined to buy cut rifled barrels. I don't really like the stress button rifling puts into the barrel.
That's my $.02

This was posted in another thread:

"First let me say that, I have no concern whatsoever that this would have any significant effects on accuracy. Just stating some observations. I have some older 5R bartleins that I've borescoped in the past. They looked pretty much like I expected them to with the ramps from the lands into the grooves being equal. I have a newer bartlein that I borescoped a couple of nights ago. I noticed that the ramp on one side of the lands was longer with less angle. Not exactly, but similar to what a shilen ratchet land & groove might look like or similar to a Broughton canted land.

Have any of you fellows borescoped & noticed anything similar on a bartlein?"

This is one of those secret squirrel stuff items. The chambering issue mentioned above (and worse things than chatter because you can't see them) is also a concern.

I don't know how much if any difference between a 5r and a 4 cut rifle and then the questions is if the "Button" Barrels are equal or better.
I personally use "7" or "8" cut barrels. They give me the best accuracy and velocity for sure!!!!
KIDDING!!!

Last edited:
I own only one, a Remington custom shop gun with 5R rifling. I have not shot it yet…
My buddy that shoots F-class with me has gone to 5R barrels, I am still using 3, 4 & 6 groove barrels in F-class and Hunter class.
TBH, I have not seen any advantage to 5R rifling, my buddy still shoots the same, cleaning is still the same, so I am on the fence.
I have only ever had trouble with a 3 groove barrel and a fast twist in a 22 cal.
Otherwise, all my barrels have been excellent.

Cheers.

One thing with the 6mm bore mentioned in the 1000yd game. A 5R needs to be a .237 bore for whatever reason. THe .236 bore works better for a 4 groove. Both bores are better for different projectiles. the 105 class of bullets work better in the .236 and the bigger 112-115+ seem to work better in the .237 bore. THe 1k game is a dasher game which would be a 105 ish type bullet explaining why the 4 groove is the choice
From what I've read on the 3 groove it is a better option all else being equal for excessive overbore chamberings. Most of this info is from builders and shooters I know or follow with much more data on the subject than I have accumulated. The most accurate barrel rifling method is less about 4,5,6 etc and far more about how straight and concentric it came out. How well chambered and put together also makes a difference. Some of the sleeved and structured barrels produce results in every form of rifling so saying one is better best or bestest is quite subjective. With ELR being more and more a solid/mono metal bullet, gain twist and like Swamplord said 6 and 8 groove amd most likely some form or odd-numbered high groove number might be a new standard if and when we see 1/4moa 3500yd expected accuracy who knows. THankfully we have the freedom to find out

I can't tell the future, but can rely on the past for results.
Just going for some hopefully accurate barrels after we chamber them and put into stocks.
We currently have several Kreiger Barrels SS in 6mm #11 Straight 1.25" with 1:7 twist .237 Bore (4) Groove @ 31" & 33" (finish at 30 to 32") planning on some targets with a 6 MM BR with 105 Hybrid Bergers. Custom Reamers from JGS.
Also have a couple of Kreiger 6.5mm #11 Straight 1.25" with 1:8 twist .256 bore (4) grove 31" (finish at 30") planning on a 6.5 X 284 with SMK 142gr for some "F" class. Custom Reamers from JGS.
Then some Kreiger .338 MTU, 1.45" to 1.00" @ 33". (6) Grove 330 Bore. I am re-profiling to 1.35" from the breach @ 12" then to 1.00" finished at 32". Using .338 Berger OTM 300gr with custom JGS reamers for ELR.
Also have a few Bartlein 6.5mm 5R Gain twist barrels for hunting builds.
Just a few for 2022 when I get up and running.
Looking forward to a good new year in 2022 and beyond. Have a lot of FAITH in GOD. Jesus has recently blessed us with a lot in our lives.
I know that these time don't look too good for the economy and everything else. We all need to focus on the positive future of our GREAT NATION USA. All is NOT lost! Believe in our Lord Jesus Crist above all others!
Just want to wish Health and Prosperity for all of us.
Really like this forum where we all can share our ideas on shooting/hunting/reloading/gunsmithing!
We are constantly learning every day from all LRH members!
BTW Happy Thanksgiving!
We all have something to be Thankful for!

God Bless
Len & Jill

Thoughts appreciated?????
From different post's I am in agreement!!!!!!!
I'm no gunsmith or famous marksman but it just seems to me that a bullet entering a rifled barrel would automatically be formed to center by even-numbered, equally-opposing lands & grooves whereas a bullet entering a rifled barrel with an odd number of lands & grooves, (non-opposing lands & grooves), would have to find center as it starts down the barrel. It seems this phenomena would likely cause more harmonics traveling down the barrel. Maybe this is why, as some have stated, different calibers like the 5r rifling better than others? 🤔On another note: I believe that most barrels are button-rifled & they're great shooters. Nothing wrong with that. As I get older I realize that I have never shot or owned a hammer-forged OR ballard-rifled barrel that wasn't a great shooter as well! Micro-groove rifling seems to work well too although I'm not versed on how well it does at distance. (My fault)
In MY humble opinion: Although new ideals come & go, some catch on while others disappear, some are failures while others are wonderful & ground-shaking - the manufacturers USUALLY get it right. They have far more knowledge, research resources, time & money than I. I suppose 5r is here to stay. Maybe, like most of our discussions here, it will boil down to personal preference & certainly....caliber. 🥴

I'm no gunsmith or famous marksman but it just seems to me that a bullet entering a rifled barrel would automatically be formed to center by even-numbered, equally-opposing lands & grooves whereas a bullet entering a rifled barrel with an odd number of lands & grooves, (non-opposing lands & grooves), would have to find center as it starts down the barrel. It seems this phenomena would likely cause more harmonics traveling down the barrel. Maybe this is why, as some have stated, different calibers like the 5r rifling better than others? 🤔On another note: I believe that most barrels are button-rifled & they're great shooters. Nothing wrong with that. As I get older I realize that I have never shot or owned a hammer-forged OR ballard-rifled barrel that wasn't a great shooter as well! Micro-groove rifling seems to work well too although I'm not versed on how well it does at distance. (My fault)
In MY humble opinion: Although new ideals come & go, some catch on while others disappear, some are failures while others are wonderful & ground-shaking - the manufacturers USUALLY get it right. They have far more knowledge, research resources, time & money than I. I suppose 5r is here to stay. Maybe, like most of our discussions here, it will boil down to personal preference & certainly....caliber. 🥴
It doesn't need to be even numbered. If you think of an equilateral triangle and imagine a force applied from any corner towards the center. Then that force will be counteracted by 2 forces of smaller magnitude (1/2) from the other 2 corners.

God bless him.="Tac-O, post: 2347542, member: 109994"]
There was a really good post made be JE awhile back about his experiences with different groove configurations vs caliber and chambering. Not sure what thread it was in, but it's worthy of searching for
[/QUOTE]